When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building Radial Spokes W/Pictures

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MNLonnie

'Lil Knee Scuffer
So I thought I would try building some spokes for my 1881 Columbia high wheeler with radial spokes. Neither end is threaded so you have to build the spokes one at a time in the wheel. At the rim they are mushroomed and at the hub they are mushroomed behind an adjusting ferrule.

First I made a tool to clamp the stainless in so I can peen it down. Not too fancy but had to start somewhere. Will probably wear out more than one of these before I'm done.

So first I peen one end and cut it to length and slide the ferrule on.

Then slide the spoke through the rim and set up the clamp on the other end.

Once the outside end is peened you can screw the ferrule into the hub and just like that, one spoke done. 18 spokes in the back and 52 in the front, should be done by Christmas with a little luck. Figured I would start with the easy 18" rear wheel before I tackle the 52" front.

After all the spokes are in I need to figure out how to install solid rubber tires on the rims.

So I thought I would try building some spokes for my 1881 Columbia high wheeler with radial spokes. Neither end is threaded so you have to build the spokes one at a time in the wheel. At the rim they are mushroomed and at the hub they are mushroomed behind an adjusting ferrule.
View attachment 1364693

View attachment 1364694
First I made a tool to clamp the stainless in so I can peen it down. Not too fancy but had to start somewhere. Will probably wear out more than one of these before I'm done.
View attachment 1364695
So first I peen one end and cut it to length and slide the ferrule on.
View attachment 1364696

Then slide the spoke through the rim and set up the clamp on the other end.
View attachment 1364698

Once the outside end is peened you can screw the ferrule into the hub and just like that, one spoke done. 18 spokes in the back and 52 in the front, should be done by Christmas with a little luck. Figured I would start with the easy 18" rear wheel before I tackle the 52" front.
View attachment 1364699

View attachment 1364705

After all the spokes are in I need to figure out how to install solid rubber tires on the rims.
Solid rubber tire tip; hot water to make them a little pliable & since it's something that old be very careful/patient. You may want to practice or be prepared to curse the thought.

Back