When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building the bike that never was... a 1930s' Art Deco, streamlined, ladies CCM Flyte.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

37ccmflyte

Finally riding a big boys bike
This project (and explanation) is going to take a while as I never rush anything...

This project really started 31 years before I was born, when back in '37 my great uncle Owen bought a brand new CCM Flyte here in New Zealand. Later he survived fighting in WW2 in the Pacific, but he ended up dying whilst trying to save a drowning swimmer here in the 1950's. Then my father inherited the bike. He had been 5 when his uncle first rode in on his new bike. 15 years ago I took the bike over from my father and started getting the right bits for it. It's complete now (except the Troxel toolbox seat) and the restoration is not far off being finished, thanks to members of the CABE who have helped with parts and advice over the years. So for my whole life their has been a CCM Flyte around.

Over the past few years I have been thinking about building a ladies version of the CCM Flyte to sit alongside the "family bike". But I was always put off the idea. Flyte's are uncommon and I did not want to be lynched by a mob of respectable Flyte owners out to kill the heretic who violated one of the holy grails of 1930's cycling.

But a machine has come to hand that is so bad in so many terminal ways that is makes the perfect donor bike for "the great CCM ladies Flyte project". I can ride the bike but I am taking my life in my hands doing so. The only genuine CCM parts are the curved forks, the seat stem and one VERY badly damaged and even more badly repaired frame. Described by one CABER as "junk". But the only good thing about the bike is that most of the damage and butchered "repairs" are in the two tubes and lugs between the steering stem and the seat post. The very tubes that would be replaced on a ladies model. For some reason (I can't figure out why) the tube the crank passes through has been replaced with a small diameter... so it's a real mess.

For those who don't know the Flyte was build in Canada by CCM from 1936 to '41. It was built in the Art Deco Streamlined style of the time. They were expensive when new and did not sell well. They were only built as a mens bike.

So I will leave it at that for the moment.
Pictures to follow of what a Flyte looks like, what my wreak looks like and what I think a ladies Flyte might look like.

Regards
Gavin

This is the iconic image of the Flyte.... showing the 1936 model.

fl 36 ccmflytelg 2.jpg

fl 36 ccmflytelg.jpg

Then along comes the donor bike.... which to those not familiar with Flyte's might look ok in these three photos.... but almost nothing is corrcect or even from a CCM... it's been built from odds and ends laying around the shed... even the wheels are the wrong diameter! From a distance it does look ok....

PA150157.jpg

PA150158.jpg

PA150159.jpg

But when you get closer the true nature of the bike comes to light... it's frame has been butchered.
This kind of workmanship can only be described as "reeking of gross amateurism"
The top tube is badly welded or brazed on and the lugs have been destroyed and the tube is not round, it's been crushed flat... the head stock is to far forward (compared to an original frame), the tube the BB goes through appears to have been replaced with a smaller one... and the lower tube to the head stock has been replaced and again the lugs have either been cut off or ground away.... then they just painted over the mess and grinder marks! I would not be at all surprised if the frame was no where near straight either...

PA150130 headstock.jpg

PA150129 bb.jpg

PA150131.jpg

PA150150.jpg

PA150152.jpg

PA150153.jpg

PA150155.jpg

So now to the ideas for the Ladies bike....

The main idea is to built what the factory might have built had they decided to make a ladies version of the Flyte. With a chain guard (Flyte's never had) and skirt guard that compliments the Art Deco look. The running gear, will be almost all Flyte original parts, wheels, bars, stems chain wheel cranks, pedals etc. But I do have a ladies Troxel toolbox seat to go on it. The colour layout will be like a 1936 model with the painted fork. But I might go two tone yellow over very dark blue. (I am a spray painter so colour is easy for me to change). White tyres, grips and pedal rubbers.

So far I have only mocked up a computer image of what the main frame might look like...
Ignore the rest of the bike! This is a work in progress and WILL change I am sure. I want braces between the three tubes but not sure how to make that look right.

Anyway this is at least a start and something to work from. :)

fl rust ccm fl ozz.jpg

fl rust ccm fl ozz ladies2.jpg

Will this thread has proved valuable already!
I had a private message saying that the small tube on the BB and the threaded and cottered crank HAS been seen before on a hand full of Flytes that have appeared in Australia and New Zealand. Apparently to suit our British heirtage! So it IS an original feature on the gold frame. Learn something new every day in the old cycling game!

I have the steel now for the central tubes.
I got tube the same size as the top of the forks (22mm), the two central tubes are currently 24.5mm...

I have done a re-design on the three tubes and lowered them more...
Girlfriend thinks I should go back to two tubes and not three... I am not convinced...

The original lines of the Flyte are simple and elegant so I don't want to get to busy with the changes and details.

Still thinking... :)

fl rust ccm fl ozz ladies4.jpg

Last edited:
Back