When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building up my 1948 Postwar Schwinn DX (peewee style)

-

Ashnicolemiller

On Training Wheels
Hey guys I’m new here and gathering some info as well as looking for parts or fabricators!! I have just purchased my 1948 Schwinn DX postwar and am doing a restoration project with a bit of Pee Wee flare to it.
LOOKING FOR INFO ON PARTS / PART FABRICATORS!

I have the bike and gas tank and am looking for the fin and rear panieers as well as the tiger horn (found a different thread with it on here and hoping for a response).

I’m doing mine in black and ANY TIPS AND INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!
My husband owns a bike shop and is trying to help but this projects a big deal to me and I know I have to ask the vintage pros!! THANK YOU!!

186AA253-3F4E-4473-9464-3F396C8FDB0E.jpeg

675B74F9-9F15-4296-835C-C9FB6182B132.jpeg

That's a nice clean looking dx you are starting with. Is it original or a repaint?
I think the panniers and center fin are custom built. You should be able to find the skirt guard on here or Ebay.
Good luck!
Shawn M.

You might have better luck fitting the rear skirt guards to a JCHiggins bike from which the originally came. Correct mounting holes for mounting and the chain guard mounting holes. Mighty nice original Schwinn. If you think about the economics, is the DX worth more as is or converted to a “Pee Wee” clone?

You might have better luck fitting the rear skirt guards to a JCHiggins bike from which the originally came. Correct mounting holes for mounting and the chain guard mounting holes. Mighty nice original Schwinn. If you think about the economics, is the DX worth more as is or converted to a “Pee Wee” clone?
I'm with you. I love the dx as is and would be happy to own it. There are much worse examples that could become a cool Pee Wee bike. However it's hers to do what she likes and we gotta make the most of what we have.
Was the Pee Wee Herman bike a JC Higgins? I always thought it was a Schwinn dx. I have a couple dx frames I would be happy to trade 😉.

That's a nice clean looking dx you are starting with. Is it original or a repaint?
I think the panniers and center fin are custom built. You should be able to find the skirt guard on here or Ebay.
Good luck!
Shawn M.
Thanks Shawn it’s a repaint going to have it re painted again and pinstriping done over as wel. I did find the tank, kind of re adapting probably won’t have as much stuff as the actual peewee bike

I probably won’t resell, it’s been something I’ve thought about since pretty young, going to do more of an adaptation to not overcrowd it. Thanks for info!

Back