When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Builds from the frame up

-

Balloonoob

I live for the CABE
So getting a complete bike is often the best option when it comes to price and owning something closest to original. There is usually still work that needs done to get them in working and presentable condition.
But personally I enjoy finding a frame or other significant part, and building a bike up getting closer to an original-looking piece with every part acquired. I know this is often painful, expensive, frustrating, and can result in unused parts laying around, but I guess I enjoy self torture. And what else do I have to do?

So lets see those project bikes that started with a part and a dream.
1593239349084.png
1593239366390.png

Hey - sid didn't kill Nancy. Nancy killed sid.
Just like the Kennedys killed Marilyn Monroe
The Reagans had a secret the public couldn't know
At Winterland his wife was wankin' a kid
And he couldn't let anyone know what she did
The voters couldn't know about Nancy and Sid...... So she made it look like an od

It really depends. Likely a frame could be the last bulkiest part sold from a bike parted out recently or long ago. Collectors’ value is more often in the mostly complete original article.
If I were to build from a frame up, (in an amateur fashion), the project would have to be something that I really wanted to do, (as some work is its own reward), understanding that costs would exceed any future monetary returns.

I also agree it depends. If the frame is more scarce with original paint and an original badge then maybe move it along to a collector. I believe this is what Shawn was referring to. If the frame had no badge or paint or parts and perhaps dented or damaged and common, then get it rolling, why not? Many of these loose frames were not parted out but just broke down and lost parts over time and left sitting. I know a few people who have a large supply of these type of frames. If the frame has original paint and badge and you do decide to put "incorrect" parts on it, some day it could be de-constructed and put back to correct if not modified.

Yeah bare bones frames with bad or no paint are great for this. So long as they are solid. It's hard to say how far along you are going to get the bike, but at least you get some use out of it. And you don't have to feel bad for refurbishing something that is a blank canvas. If you have an original paint frame then you often can't find original paint fenders, chainguard, and forks to match. Lots of folks have frames sitting in a garage/shed behind 20 other more complete projects. So what, once these other 20 projects are done you are gonna get to it. But wait....in the time it took you to get those 20 rolling you acquired 10 more bikes!!
You KNOW who you are. ;)

Back