When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumpy Rust Removal Advice Request

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
For those bikes, to improve the rough to the hand feel and attempt to do no harm my process is :

Art brush , and small jar ( olive jar or baby food) of PB blaster penatriong oil ….
Brush the oil or eye dropper on the rust spots , ( wipe away excess the runs on unaffected areas / avoid stripes or decals ) leave overnight

Come back in a day or so with :
-Q tips ( not the plastic stem / the breakable cardboard stem type) break them in half : use the cotton end and the stem end to lift and remove rust grit

- Wooden coffee stirrers broken in half so the break is spiltered, same thing : pick at , saw action to gently lift loosened rust particals

- in my kit for this is also dental pics and a blue crab pick for areas where their is clearly no paint just a bare spot

Use q tip stem end and cotton side to lift away and wipe dissolved rust bits

clean the areas you worked on , dry then reapply penetrating oil and repeat ….

the rough gritty to the touch feel will improve , and the rust patches will be smaller less visible ….. but you will not eliminate them

You can repeat several times , or until you’ve cured yourself of the urge to “fix that “ and you have no desire left to mess with it every time you walk by the bike ….

Once you are satisfied that you’ve improved things , now just wax the bike , first with a super mild polishing wax and a mini harbor freight cloth wheel / at low speed , then with regular car wax , by hand leaving liberal amount of wax, by only light pressure on the cloth.

Now you’ve got it out of your system and the bike will look vastly better ….. just back up about 5 feet when you want to admire it 😀 and the rust in paint won’t bother you.

That’s how I get over the urge to be too aggressive with that kind of rust on paint mix , and it truly does look better and tubes feel smoother to the hand.

Thank you!! Into my tips and tricks file this goes. Will take this advice for sure when that bike pushes it's way back to the front of the line.

So I've got this bumpy to the touch rust going on. It's rustier than it appears in the photo. Seeking advice on how I might be able to smooth it out and eliminate what I can, without any further damage to the paint. Tempted to go after it with an X-acto blade and WD40. I probably need to be stopped before it comes to that, so any and all suggestions will be considered.
View attachment 1576903
5,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Avoid decals. Be gentle. You don’t want to sand through the color. Use plenty of water. If it was a different color I’d suggest an OA bath as mentioned earlier. That frame might turn pink on you.
After sanding it will look milky and you’ll think what the hell have I done! Wash well and dry. Follow with rubbing compound, polishing compound, and a good wax job.

5,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Avoid decals. Be gentle. You don’t want to sand through the color. Use plenty of water. If it was a different color I’d suggest an OA bath as mentioned earlier. That frame might turn pink on you.
After sanding it will look milky and you’ll think what the hell have I done! Wash well and dry. Follow with rubbing compound, polishing compound, and a good wax job.
The paint that he is dealing with is a candy over the top of the aluminum base coat. You’ll sand the color coat right off all those bumps. Never do an OA soak on the candy paint. It will end up looking like this.

Lime Paint 002.JPG

The paint that he is dealing with is a candy over the top of the aluminum base coat. You’ll sand the color coat right off all those bumps. Never do an OA soak on the candy paint. It will end up looking like this.

View attachment 1969374
As I said don’t use an OA bath on his frame because of the color. The bumps have already destroyed the paint at each bump. His goal is to remove the bumps and have a smooth surface. I’ve used this method with great success on many bikes. It’s the same idea as wet sanding a car.

Back