When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burgers Bike info..

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kahloop1

Look Ma, No Hands!
Picked this up for a couple of dollars, any info would be appreciated. Has a BSA hub. Should I restore or just salvage parts and trash? It is a little rough. Any idea on age?

20200131_162431.jpg

20200131_162520.jpg

20200131_162545.jpg

20200131_162638.jpg

20200131_162457.jpg

'Dutch' bicycle, if the BSA hub is original, no newer than the mid 50's, they stopped making the hub in 1954.

The names on the seat tube are for Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont was Queen consort of the Netherlands and Grand Duchess

Leopold II was the longest reigning King of Belgium, or King of the Belgians.

Burgers ENR (this means Eerste Nederlandsche Rijwielfabriek, First Dutch Bicycle factory) started building boneshakers in 1869. The factory was based in Deventer until closure in 1961.

from the way it looks, it wouldn't take much to have it is great riding shape and for the investment, the return would be a very dependable machine that will last for year.

If you like 3 speed middle weights, you can't go wrong.

Cleaned up, serviced and with good tires, it would be worth between 150 and 200. (depending on how close to a university you are)
You won't get rich on it, but you can have a reliable bike that will last.

I'm shocked, last Sunday I picked up 4 bikes at a thrift store. 2 Schwinns and a bike with a repainted blue bike with a BSA hub. When I got back to my shop, I compared the blue bike to my BSAs and derermined it is not a BSA, so I grabbed my can of Graffiti remover and started cleaning off the blue paint, revealing that it is a Burgers. It's the same color as the one you have.

One of my favorite parts of the bike collecting hobby is finding old bikes that I don't know anything about and learning their story.

I know nothing about Dutch bikes. Very few were exported to California. But now I am learning about them.

Burgers is a very old company. Founded in 1869, here is their website

Here is a wiki on Burgers

The BSA hubs were not made after 1955, so I think our bikes are from the early 50s. What is your serial number?

Your bike is in a lot better condition than mine. Mine is missing the front fender, the chain guard, and the lights. If I had yours, I would clean it up, grease all the bearings and put it up for sale. I'm contemplating the same with mine, but with the overpaint and the missing parts, I put it in the basement for now.

Last edited:
Nice find! Burgers is the oldest Dutch brand, and were known for making excellent bicycles at reasonable prices. You have got a good bike.

The reference to the late Prince Hendrik is interesting and kind of funny. I'm not sure he ever rode a bike, but he was known to fraternize with the sports community and liked to share a drink (or two) with the sportsmen.

One story says his life was once saved by a couple of speed skaters at the 1928 winter Olympics when he fell down, got stuck in the snow and was too drunk to get out by himself.

More interesting story from a cycling point of view is that of the 1925 World Championships. For some reason someone had thought it to be a good idea to organize this race in Holland, even though road racing had been prohibited there since 1905. They even chose the Veluwe area for the race, which is a predominantly orthodox protestant area.

So, no racing, no shorts.

This is what they did. They made sure there was no race by having control points, where policemen would put a stamp on the riders' race numbers. The race was stopped for lunch. Prince Hendrik asked the riders to "not ride too fast, please".

There actually is some footage of that "race". Even more surprisingly, there was a "winner".

World Road Race Championship 1925

Back