When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer beware LATIN: Caveat emptor

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Buyer beware LATIN: Caveat emptor

CABE Admin: Please: This is just advice. There is no reference to anyone, any deal, on any site, market, forum, or retail outlet. This is for the purpose of helping others in the hobby. There should be no rules broken here.

Who buys a 4 figure $$ seemingly high standard restored bicycle ( car or anything) on line (from what seem to be great pictures) from a supposed seasoned trusted seller without inside pics of the tank/top, bottom/both sides, close up of the headbadge and asks ALL the important questions as to rideability, all parts stock/straight/ and in like new working order. None of us, right? OOPS……not ALL OF us?

To assume is to make an ASS out of U and ME. ASSUME. I claim to be fairly well educated in the hobby. I’d better be as I’ve been in it over 35 years, and probably owned 60 plus bikes/currently stalled at 22. The shame. I am not WORTHY!! Ha!! I digress…sorry…

I have worked on them from stem to stern/seat to stem..whatever. Yes, I’m kinda fussy. I like stuff to be correct, and complete, and generally operational. I guess some people “forget” to mention things or tactfully hold back information to CYA. Pity. A good rule of thumb is ask questions. The only stupid question is the one you did NOT ASK!!

My problem is I trust people in a respectable hobby. I think there is an honour system in place. Golden rule shall we say. Well, part of the word TRUST contains the word RUST. Maybe that’s a subliminal hint, I dunno?

A head badge and a tank are KEY parts of many high end bicycles. Is it correct to expect those areas to be complete and solid when you purchase a bike?

Who has tried to drill out a broken head badge screw on a freshly painted frame? How about buzzing rust and dirt out of the INSIDE an almost show quality exterior tank? Not fun jobs. Ones you don’t anticipate when you drop $ on a restored bike. No horn, no switch…say what? Surely an honest seasoned seller would know and mention these? Don’t be so sure.

How about severely bent chain tensioners & all fasteners hand spin loose? Ever try lining up a wheel/chain with tensioners on a 30 degree angle? Sure, if you buy a bike in person, you check all that stuff. Spin the wheels, check the frame for bends/breaks/welds/forks, look for rust, correct parts, complete parts. Look the seller in the eye. Shake his hand. On line, different story. For those of you old enough to remember the cop show “Hill Street Blues” I will quote the Sarg. “Be careful out there”.

I’d like to see the bike as well, but I’m guessing you will expose the seller by doing so.

Who cares, do it anyway ;)

Ya, this hurts. Most people don't get that a bike may cost $500, but if certain parts are wrong, you could end up spending that much or more to fix it. Plus all the time / labor. A seasoned seller would know that. Someone selling their dad's restored bike may not.

Just for the record, I've bought a dozen + vintage bicycles over the last 18 months, all but one from Cabe members ( one off Ebay), and all but one has been a good experience. I'm not looking for perfection, just honesty. This last one was a Cabe deal.

Ya, this hurts. Most people don't get that a bike may cost $500, but if certain parts are wrong, you could end up spending that much or more to fix it. Plus all the time / labor. A seasoned seller would know that. Someone selling their dad's restored bike may not.

I agree 100%. Especially being a Canuck. Our dollar is only worth about .60 to the U.S. dollar, shipping costs are crazy, parts for American ballooners non-existent up here, Swap meets don't exist either. If I need parts, it's not easy, and expensive. Sorry if I'm being a Wally whiner here. No one is twisting my arm to participate in the hobby. I have several expensive obsessive hobbies...ha!!

I’d like to see the bike as well, but I’m guessing you will expose the seller by doing so.

Who cares, do it anyway ;)

I seem to be getting a "Bad Boy" rep with the administrators. My last thread ( an old Clint Eastwood movie name) got deep sixed ( as many do because I'm a bit too honest/sometimes not politically correct? ha!) because the seller jumped in. I had no intention of divulging him or the bike. I don't play those games.

It may come out eventually, but not from me. Feel free to ask me about a seller I've dealt with in a PM and I'll give you an honest opinion. I wanted to make my point and get opinions. It lasted long enough to see I was/am warranted (have good reason) to vent about the issue. My intention is not to blow the whistle on anyone, just to warn people not to get lazy ( like I did) and lull yourself into a deal that may not be what it seems. ASK...ASK...ASK.....

Back