When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer beware LATIN: Caveat emptor

-
I think when the seller jumped in to try to justify himself (I was NEVER going to i.d. him or the bike/told him that) Admin. figured a GONG show was in the works, so axed me. The agreement and support from all my fellow Cabers ( you included of course) has been heartwarming. I love this forum and most of the people. I think I'm flagged as a "loose cannon" on the admin control board? Ha!! I stand up for what I believe and like to help others. Sometimes I vent or joke a little "rough" on the political correctness? Oh well, it's fun being a redneck? I'm honest and proud of it.
We had a break room,now a lounge.Maybe we need a Safe Room for members .

Guess id be venting too since it appears you were unable to wander over and turn him inside out like a sleepin bag, anyone who rides a bike knows every square inch of it, id go on but theres a bag of my own that needs aired out and id rather focus on this 3 lb bag of peanut emmies for the evening.

I also dont use the Pay Pal friends and gift way of paying. I will always pay the extra percentage to have some type of recourse if a deal goes bad.

That is why I ask people to just pay me through goods and services, first I don't need to try to scam paypal for the extra pittance of money, second, I factor that into the cost of the sale.

just my opinion.

And I'm still working on finishing 3 or the eight I've got, the Brady Bunch stops there.

Even if you think you are not in the graces of the staff I do hope that you've talked to them about this. Even if we figure we are 'big boys' the integrity of the site is still paramount, Sometimes it can be worked out. One person I was trying to deal with became a former member in mid-stream. Some you just skip dealing with and ignore. When you feel cheated on something you've bought here and it doesn't meet your expectations you need to resolve the problem.

Dave says that the classifieds may be shifting to a new app instead of the current forums, perhaps feedback and resolution will be part of that as well. Until then, take it up with Scott & Co. as you should.

People who swear you off like that need to stop and think about it.

PS I've never used Paypal, although I can understand whay is required when you live in another country...I used money transfers a couple times to Australia and Canada for purchases here and on another site when it was a better option, not what I normally like to do.

And I'm still working on finishing 3 or the eight I've got, the Brady Bunch stops there.

Even if you think you are not in the graces of the staff I do hope that you've talked to them about this. Even if we figure we are 'big boys' the integrity of the site is still paramount, Sometimes it can be worked out. One person I was trying to deal with became a former member in mid-stream. Some you just skip dealing with and ignore. When you feel cheated on something you've bought here and it doesn't meet your expectations you need to resolve the problem.

Dave says that the classifieds may be shifting to a new app instead of the current forums, perhaps feedback and resolution will be part of that as well. Until then, take it up with Scott & Co. as you should.

People who swear you off like that need to stop and think about it.

PS I've never used Paypal, although I can understand whay is required when you live in another country...I used money transfers a couple times to Australia and Canada for purchases here and on another site when it was a better option, not what I normally like to do.

Thanks. Scott's in the loop. I'll just move on and chalk it up to "life". My conscience is clear, and that's important.

I agree with much that is being said. Nashman you are obviously well schooled in the collectible bicycle hobby.
How about the opposite?? A buyer who when he receives a bike , send pictures to the seller of parts that were " Damaged during shipping" ?? I've had this problem.
The buyer sent pictures of damaged "parts" , not the whole bike , and wanted partial money refunded. When I asked to see a picture of the whole bike, he refused saying he was readying it for restoration. I refunded nothing, he complained and I still refunded nothing. I asked to see the box to check for damages, and of course he said it had already been trashed. Maybe he didnt know I've been in this hobby for over 20 years, and can spot parts from a different bike. On Ebay it's also SELLER BEWARE!! There are many unscrupulous buyers on Ebay too.

ASK...ASK...ASK.....

From my experience.....................both online AND in person , I try to ask EVERYTHING i can think of about that particular bike. It's hard for a seller to describe everything Soooooooooooooooooooo........... I have to " Guide " them into helping me get the answers I'm lookin' for. MANY times they NEVER say a word about the hub ( Seems like an important part to ask about in my book ) Always ask........................It don't hurt !!! :eek: as far as shipping damage ................................ALWAYS take pictures of the box/boxes ( INSIDE and OUT ) it's helped me . Keep up the faith , and above all have fun . ;)

I do not ride bikes. I am not a mechanic. I buy and sell as is.
I look at old bikes as art- intentionally misrepresenting something is very different from not knowing(or even caring about ...races inside pedals.)
If someone wants to pay my time I will gladly disassemble, test etc. I am certain I would hear crickets if I asked someone for this.
I have been buying and selling bikes and mainly parts and accessories since the late 80's and had very very few complaints.
ask questions and know your application, what is important to you may be way off my radar.
I am sure people with a lot of experience wrenching bikes expect others to be the same- just isn't so.

Edit:
Would you dissemble your used car and inspect ever race etc? No. Why should bikes be any different?

Last edited:
Back