When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C.C.M. 1918 Catalogue. Very interesting.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wow, thanks for posting that catalogue! Thats the first time I've seen an old Canadian bike catalogue.

It's neat how those old catalogs proudly show their factories, construction techniques, and lifetime warranties! Won't see that at Walmart!! Also, reading this catalog, I couldn't help but notice the tread on the "Lucky Tread" tire has them 'swat-stickers' on it!:eek:

Before the Nazis ripped it off in the 1930's the swaztika was a universal "good luck" symbol used by many peoples including many native Americans,Herman

Ah, I've learned something new today! I vaguely remember something about the native american thing, but I was just surprised to see that on a tire! Thanx Herman!

Wow this threat is getting deep.
I will have to have a look for those tires. It is also intreresting to find out the proper sized nuts/bolts and other parts that go on these older bikes.

Swastik

The origins of the Swastik symbol are in India.

The name means 'good fortune' and, as Herman says, it's a symbol of auspiciousness.

If you've been to Thailand or Cambodia, you'll recall the national greeting 'Sawat-dee' which is the same word. (SE Asia received Buddhism from India).

Later on, the Tibetans, who were strongly influenced by Indian symbolism, absorbed it, and it became part of the pre-Buddhist Tibetan practice known as Bon.

Bon is an extremely powerful 'magic' which was subsequently combined with Tibetan Buddhism to create their unique style of religion and practice (only used for good). While Bon, conversely, was used for personal power.

The original Swastik is right-handed, ie clockwise.

The essential difference between that and the Bon symbol is that it's reversed, ie left-handed or anti-clockwise. Same as the Nazi application of it.

Hitler studied ancient Tibetan Bon traditions to use its power for personal gain. Mao did similar.

The connection with Native Americans is that some tribes had their origins in Tibet, as a result of migration across the Bering Straits.

That symbol came a long way before it appeared on that tyre in the CCM catalogue...

Back