When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C.L. Holmes Bicycle Shop Booklet- Race Records, Gearing Chart, Artwork & Fishing Tackle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
This small pamphlet has a lot going on. Likely a handout at a race or maybe just in-shop this may be the only surviving example.
At a little over 5" x 3" this booklet serves to advertise for the Holmes bike shop, inform the reader of the ca 1900 bicycle records from that year's (?) race season and educate the reader on how to properly calculate bicycle gearing. I need to take a lesson from this form of advertising.

The booklet depicts a fine tandem illustration on the cover by Walter M Dunk, a versatile illustrator of some national recognition, I will follow up with a few of his works to show his range. It seems a wonder how this little Connecticut shop owner thought to commission Mr. Dunk but who knows?

Showing a variety of noteworthy racers this is an important moment in bicycle race history with Major Taylor leading the field.

I so wish I could visit this shop even if just to see the combination of Orients, Tribunes, Stearns.....and fishing poles, fine handmade flys.... gosh it sounds like a dream doesn't it?

CL Holmes Bicycle Pamphlet Cover.jpg

CL Holmes Bicycle Pamphlet Inside1.jpg

CL Holmes Bicycle Pamphlet Bicycle Records.jpg

CL Holmes Bicycle Pamphlet Rear Cover.jpg

Back