When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C/t question.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My 39 has tthe flat and round but my 60's one has round on front and back.
SCHWINN CYCLE TRUCK 1940.JPG

schwinn cycle truck 1966.jpg

The one thing I don't see mentioned is that these were not your normal bicycle. These were made, designed, and meant to be used as a tool for business. Not the recreational "toy" for a kid. I agree with the fact that the braces weren't given a lot of thought as to "matching" and think that the flat braces were used until they ran out and then switched over to the "rounded" ones. I have four pre-war ones here (and had a couple of other ones previously) and at least one of the still present ones has the half-round braces on the front (and there is no clearance issue) - BUT - I think they were switched onto the bike along with the front fender as it didn't appear to have been the one that originally came on the bike and the brace was installed with screws and nuts. The first one (18" framed '39 CT1) had flat ones on both ends.
On the later model (post war) where the stand was not mounted on the axle, clearance was a non-issue.
REC

The one thing I don't see mentioned is that these were not your normal bicycle. These were made, designed, and meant to be used as a tool for business. Not the recreational "toy" for a kid. I agree with the fact that the braces weren't given a lot of thought as to "matching" and think that the flat braces were used until they ran out and then switched over to the "rounded" ones. I have four pre-war ones here (and had a couple of other ones previously) and at least one of the still present ones has the half-round braces on the front (and there is no clearance issue) - BUT - I think they were switched onto the bike along with the front fender as it didn't appear to have been the one that originally came on the bike and the brace was installed with screws and nuts. The first one (18" framed '39 CT1) had flat ones on both ends.
On the later model (post war) where the stand was not mounted on the axle, clearance was a non-issue.
REC
Thank you for information. I agree, the early production years of the cycletruck was pure "put it together" with whatever was available. For example, I own a 1939 cycletruck that is fitted with front and rear flat braces and non-chrome Eclipse front and rear hubs. The crank is marked with the year 39. World War II was getting started and businesses needed another way of transportation for deliveries. Since gasoline and oil was limited during the war. The cycletruck is a great piece to own, as it was a tool to help the war effort and keep America running. I am proud to own a piece of history that served our country. Every cycletruck is going to be unique because Schwinn did not have a production standard.
Proud cycletruck owner!

Back