When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold ca. 1890/1 Lovell Diamond #1

-
Price
$4000 plus shipping
Zipcode

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
I posted this earlier today here https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/unknown-hard-tire-safety.172410/ Like I said in the last post I believe this is a Lovell Diamond #1 with a modified top bar. I do not think it would be difficult to return this to it's original configuration. The bike is very presentable as-is and about the only things wrong except for the top tube is a broken left grip, a broken seat spring, and the bolt for the bottom bracket/chain tensioner is missing. Original pedals, seat, spoon brake, 30" rims/correct hubs with both rear oil covers present, and chain, chain wheel, and crank. The bike also has a Lucas Caloia Cadet carbide lamp. A rare opportunity for an early American safety. Lovell was the predecessor of Iver Johnson. Last two pics are of an original and a period ad for this bike. Please ask any questions or for more pics email me at [email protected] $4000 obo plus shipping to lower 48 only. I really hate to disassemble/ship this and would highly recommend either U-Ship or local pick-up. I will meet buyer within 100 miles of 30809 free of charge. PP F&F or add the 3% for G&S. Thanks, Shawn

Last edited:
Where is the serial located? V/r Shawn
At the base of the frame, just below where the tubes meet in a curved V, I believe on the chain ring side.
I think it's visible in your 7th photo, just above the chain.

Last edited:
I can't read the number on yours, is it 6816? My 1890 Lovell Diamond is badged and is #995 if that helps

I'm thinking 6318 and I'm guessing that would put it as a '91? When did they change to the standard vice 'hinged' head tube on this model? V/r Shawn

6000 bikes 1890 through 1891 - is that possible? equals around 75 bikes built each week.
Are there any records of Columbia, G&J and Victor output for the same period? How does LD / IJ price compare with bikes from those 3 market leaders? If they were cheaper presumably they could have sold more.
Two companies involved - Lovell Diamond & Iver Johnson, so could share the investment costs and maybe also build them in two factories? Both companies started in the cycle trade well established from years of gun manufacture. That means existing workforces and factories, distribution networks, agents, lines of credit, even customers. So they could step right into the industry.
Observations: US made. They advertised a lot. Boom years in the US cycle trade. Less competition in these years and high demand. Most important of all - it's a sturdy well-built bike of its time. How many LD /IJ agents would there have been around the country?
Selling 75 a week? Agencies for example in 10 US cities? Is it feasible for a cycle shop in a main US city that has backing from the manufacturers for local advertising and promotions to sell average 7 bikes a week?

Of course there is always the possibility that Lovell did not use sequential numbering. For example what if they started '91 off with serial #5000? There could be a number of reasons for this to include making it look like they were selling a lot of bikes or for internal accounting measures. I believe we would have to get a decent sample of these to start figuring this out. V/r Shawn

Back