When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca. 1894 George Hendee "Hendee's Silver King"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Building towards an eventual exhibition of this machine, thanks to @47jchiggins for the opportunity to add this original envelope to the supporting ephemera.

11399809-79F8-4F6A-981B-A38420811CF0.jpeg

I have been chasing this bicycle for quite a while now, with help from a number of friends I was able to track it down, negotiate a deal, and finally yesterday get my hands on this amazing specimen.

There is quite a bit of research and a bit of mechanic work to be done in publications and on the bicycle itself but I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

This is almost certainly an English "Centaur" Scorcher that Hendee imported, built up, rebadged, and sold as a "Hendee's Silver King"
Colin Kirsch has done a great deal of research and has an English Centaur which shares many similarities to my example, I will attempt to build on his scholarship.

Sloping top tube is very distinct, ultra narrow diameter top tube with a larger diameter down tube.
Killer lugs and dropouts, very svelte design.
The seatpost is a proprietary design with an interesting disassemble feature - stamped "Centaur Patent" -
"Bolt on" style block pedals appear original
Hunt hygienic saddle though the period advertisement calls for a Sager, we'll see.
Great down turned bar/stem combo seemingly original.
Rear hub will take a bit of research but may be a Hendee proprietary design.
"Silver King" stamped leather pouch is the icing on the cake!

More info and photos to follow - I'm going to need some help finding a few difficult to track down bits this bicycle will need to be 100% - I may be tapping a few of you!

View attachment 1439206

View attachment 1439207

View attachment 1439208

View attachment 1439209

View attachment 1439210

View attachment 1439211

View attachment 1439212

View attachment 1439213

View attachment 1439214

IMG_8801.jpeg

Back