When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca. 1894 George Hendee "Hendee's Silver King"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Very cool proprietary seatpost - the only "Centaur" stamping I have been able to find on the Hendee but very exciting that this piece was retained through the years. Reversible horizontal section for a very wide adjustment range, excellent tech.
I may need some overseas help as pre 1900 patents may only be available to copy in various reading rooms "in person" but I will keep reading up on patents.

Hendee Centaur Seatpost.jpg

Hendee Centaur Seatpost2.jpg

Hendee Centaur Seatpost3.jpg

Hendee Centaur Seatpost4.jpg

Hendee Centaur Seatpost5.jpg

Ordinarily I would agree, the waiting just about killed me on this one!
I wager this machine has had it's broken chain, incorrect front wheel and missing rubbers for many many years, I'm very much looking forward to making her whole again.
The Hunt saddle is so nice! Someone must have the 30” rim for you.
I’m still waiting to get my 1896 Schwinn tandem.
I need a badge, now. The Eclipse badge was removed and the faint imprint of the World badge can be seen.

The Hunt saddle is so nice! Someone must have the 30” rim for you.
I’m still waiting to get my 1896 Schwinn tandem.
I need a badge, now. The Eclipse badge was removed and the faint imprint of the World badge can be seen.
Yeah, I'm waiting for a Racycle badge that I paid for and never received!

Very cool proprietary seatpost - the only "Centaur" stamping I have been able to find on the Hendee but very exciting that this piece was retained through the years. Reversible horizontal section for a very wide adjustment range, excellent tech.
I may need some overseas help as pre 1900 patents may only be available to copy in various reading rooms "in person" but I will keep reading up on patents.

View attachment 1440112

View attachment 1440114

View attachment 1440115

View attachment 1440116

View attachment 1440117
pretty cool seatpost Jesse
never seen one like it ..... classic cool TOC over-engineering and machining (this is why I love the TOC bikes so much)

from your experience, what do you think is the use for such a design?
maybe they had different lenght of seatpost shafts as options, or maybe it was to do a quick seat change in a race or to accommodate different riders!
Looking forward to reading more of the tread as it unfolds :)

thanks for sharing BTW

Last edited:
I think these reversible seat posts help compensate for riders with longer legs and arms to allow some degree of increasing one's comfort and pedalling efficiency.
What is the patent number Jesse, I can't quite read it?
Also, do you have access to the V-CC online library?

I think these reversible seat posts help compensate for riders with longer legs and arms to allow some degree of increasing one's comfort and pedalling efficiency.
What is the patent number Jesse, I can't quite read it?
Also, do you have access to the V-CC online library?
I believe the patent is 21270
I don't have access to that library, I don't think?

Did a quick search and found the following couple of images, which may be of relevance:
20210706_125045.jpg

20210706_125133.jpg

They are not featured in the 1894 catalogue, but are featured in the 1897 catalogue (which is the next one available).
I can put you in touch with the V-CC marque enthusiast if you like, I'm sure he'll be very interested in your find.
I'll email him, see what he says and pass on his details in a PM later.
The 1897 catalogue has a fantastic cover.....
20210706_130008.jpg

(All images from V-CC library).

@dnc1 Excellent my friend thank you! Just the images I was hoping to see.
This will make for a fine exhibition one day indeed.
I also look forward to hearing about your conversation with the enthusiast you have in mind- As always I appreciate the support!

Did Centaur make a girls version called "Silver Queen" I have some very old varnish fix decals out of England one set is Silver Queen? Or maybe a totally different brand of bicycle. Not to hi jack your thread just if you run across anything in your research.

Back