When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca. 1896 Crawford Racer from Butler

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Some of you saw me wheel this bike around Butler, bought pre-show-

Ca. 1896 Crawford “racer” of Hagerstown, MD.

Note the signature Crawford left hand drive and bang on adjustable bars.

Very nice original specimen, in this instance I did not have to rebuild a bike seeking out patina parts, I just purchased, cleaned and adjusted this beauty.

e524dac0b1da231d0f621690d14757f3.jpg

7019ec8f6712cd29602fed711e43a5f1.jpg

4e91dc197d2f67f37c924a1cfe04d642.jpg

9cb40b0557a591bf8f6b78fab143a793.jpg

7dbd95bffea710b09da6b5c216f6b14a.jpg

e9c470e69f7ddcf3c9104edbceff3370.jpg

2c186348e477e21726eba54fa70d7bc7.jpg

70158bd7f11bdfec0d7ca302c5bf26e9.jpg

f04457243c3fda3182f92aa13b654a4c.jpg

818135c552bb3711159e748555b15461.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine who is now deceased owned a 1917 Crawford automobile and I remember him saying it was built in Hagerstown Md. They must have built cars as well as bikes. I believe his nephew inherited the car.

What an awesome head badge. Glad to see it was never removed. Do bikes this old typically just get displayed or have work done to be used as riders? What is in store for this one? I would imagine it depends on condition. As original parts are likely not available do people sometimes use temporary parts like rims and tires for riding then put original back on for display? Even doing this with solid frame could be dangerous with 100 year old metal ex. Stripped original nuts or making the steel adjust slightly?

What an awesome head badge. Glad to see it was never removed. Do bikes this old typically just get displayed or have work done to be used as riders? What is in store for this one? I would imagine it depends on condition. As original parts are likely not available do people sometimes use temporary parts like rims and tires for riding then put original back on for display? Even doing this with solid frame could be dangerous with 100 year old metal ex. Stripped original nuts or making the steel adjust slightly?

That is a point of contention between collectors in this field. I rebuild my bikes with an eye for period and patina correctness so you cannot ride them in that state. Even the very best 1890's single tube tires are not safe to be ridden on for any amount of time if you value their condition.

I have had some restored bicycles, there are plenty of candidates certainly that are roached out enough that why not completely restore it? Unfortunately a lot of time the ones that get full restore treatments are the best condition bikes as they require minimal prep work. At least that is the tradition of the last generation of collectors.

In my opinion, this is the way to build and display an 1890's bicycle and that is the best use for such a bike.

Yeah display makes sense. Hate to see a frame crack. You likely never see these in rideable original condition. Thanks for the response.

That is a point of contention between collectors in this field. I rebuild my bikes with an eye for period and patina correctness so you cannot ride them in that state. Even the very best 1890's single tube tires are not safe to be ridden on for any amount of time if you value their condition.

I have had some restored bicycles, there are plenty of candidates certainly that are roached out enough that why not completely restore it? Unfortunately a lot of time the ones that get full restore treatments are the best condition bikes as they require minimal prep work. At least that is the tradition of the last generation of collectors.

In my opinion, this is the way to build and display an 1890's bicycle and that is the best use for such a bike.
See Jesse! It’s not safe at any speed and should be crushed, like all Covairs were!

Back