When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca. 1896 Schwinn "The World" Men's

-
There is a chance that the bike Jesse has is an actual "Racer" and not the "Light Roadster". I don't believe that brake is original and I don't think they came with the bike anyway. I'm not familiar with the differences between the "Light Roadster" and the "Racer" but it seems that it could be a "Racer". It seems to me that someone might have flipped the bars upward and added a brake so they could ride it. I've seen this on numerous original factory racers.

Side by side in the catalogue ( or the 1896 ads ) it seems they are the same drawing. So what's the chance Jesse flips the bars upside down and the bike appears to be the "Racer" model all of a sudden. Maybe it was the thickness of the tubing and the weight decided the difference! What's the description in the catalogue stating the differences between the two?

I do have a picture of Jay Eaton on his 1896 World by the way. John Johnson also raced the 1896 World. ( Johnson went to Barnes for 1897 ).

Here's a couple of 1896 ads >

BookReaderImages.php 2.jpeg

Schwinn World cleaned with wheels.jpg

Flips the bars upside down and it looks identical to the bars on the Racer.

Re assembled World 2.jpg

BookReaderImages.php 3.jpeg

Just saying there is a chance ...."Racer".

There is a chance that the bike Jesse has is an actual "Racer" and not the "Light Roadster". I don't believe that brake is original and I don't think they came with the bike anyway. I'm not familiar with the differences between the "Light Roadster" and the "Racer" but it seems that it could be a "Racer". It seems to me that someone might have flipped the bars upward and added a brake so they could ride it. I've seen this on numerous original factory racers.

Side by side in the catalogue ( or the 1896 ads ) it seems they are the same drawing. So what's the chance Jesse flips the bars upside down and the bike appears to be the "Racer" model all of a sudden. Maybe it was the thickness of the tubing and the weight decided the difference! What's the description in the catalogue stating the differences between the two?

I do have a picture of Jay Eaton on his 1896 World by the way. John Johnson also raced the 1896 World. ( Johnson went to Barnes for 1897 ).
Certainly merits dropping the bars for a photo op for the sake of discussion anyway, thanks Bill!
I was studying the discussion of the model differences, it talks about the gauge of the tubing, I'm wondering if I check the gauge of the tubing at the seat tube (only place I can think of where I could get a reading?) if that will tell me what I need to know?

@cyclingday made the point either here or privately that the saddle may be the best indicator of the exact model, it has a number of interesting features including the seemingly original / proprietary clamp that could be a valuable piece of evidence. More photos to follow.
Thank you everyone for the great group participation after this exciting find for the old bicycle community.

From June 08, 1899 issue of The Cycle Age and Trade Review comparing projected 1899 output of American Bicycle Company manufacturers compared to the independent makers outside the ABC.

These are projected production numbers for 1899 model year. The list offers a good scale comparison between all the companies in business at that time. Western Wheel Works is #1 at 135,000 and #2 is Pope at 75,000.

This may be irrelevant the post , sorry Jesse !
I had a chance this summer to purchase this World but
It was Being sold as a package with 4 other Sweet Toc
Bicycles .
I had passed but later seen a few of these bicycles pop
Up on the Cabe for sale less This “Schwinn World”
This looks to possibly be aToc version where the serial
Numbers would be interesting to see
Maybe someone here has this bicycle to simply share the serial number
These are the only pictures I have.
GL
Mark

E66C0E4C-5284-4200-9E8F-19FE65579CD9.jpeg

F1EEBE6A-0F7C-4A1A-993E-CC457D87114D.jpeg

454FE131-AE4A-4E15-9C94-1CCA13C3AA01.jpeg

This may be irrelevant the post , sorry Jesse !
I had a chance this summer to purchase this World but
It was Being sold as a package with 4 other Sweet Toc
Bicycles .
I had passed but later seen a few of these bicycles pop
Up on the Cabe for sale less This “Schwinn World”
This looks to possibly be aToc version where the serial
Numbers would be interesting to see
Maybe someone here has this bicycle to simply share the serial number
These are the only pictures I have.
GL
Mark

View attachment 1339341

View attachment 1339342

View attachment 1339344
That one went to California, I'll see if I can get him to pull the serial but as I recall it was a 98' or 9'?

That one went to California, I'll see if I can get him to pull the serial but as I recall it was a 98' or 9'?

I thought it was a small “World” no pun intended !
Bikes originated From Mi.
Started out as a Nice collection to be Sold Off.
Thanks Jesse
By the way , man you started off with a killer post
Ending up in some Outstanding historical info .
Love the theft records , jeff posted , Wowsa
Nice post my man !!

mark

Back