When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca. 1896 Schwinn "The World" Men's

-
And some of the guys who raced that big machine.

We are the Champions,
of, The World!

I was going through the images from the 1896 catalog last night, and I fixated on this beast.
I can’t even imagine what that was like to captain this monster up to speed.
You would definitely need some big guns to control the handlebar, until everybody settled in to a rhythm.
View attachment 1341399
The model-17 was top of the line for, The World, in 1896.
View attachment 1341400
$1,000 dollars in 1896 had the equivalent buying power of $27,683.94 in today’s, 2021 US Dollars.

Wow!
How many of these were built, and is there an existing example in any of the museums?
Really interesting looking bike, to say the least.
I know of one privately owned quint that has a nearly identical frame style to this illustration but I have yet to find a model illustrated from this era with this style frame and fork showing a non-"camel back" position stoker. The bike I have seen has a traditionally positioned stoker but otherwise the bike is the same.

And presumably that rear most stokers position is to to allow the following racer to tuck in close and enjoy the aerodynamic advantage, as when following the upright rear rider of a pacing motorcycle.
Can you imagine the effort involved in following this over even a short sprint distance?
Phenomenal!

After some digging in my saddle stash I found a weathered top that looks very close to the profile that would have been on 'The World' -
I used a few small pieces of sinew thread to lightly attach it for the effect of the real thing.
@corbettclassics requested a photo more like the catalog image without the incline on my street so I walked it to a couple of my favorite neighborhood bicycle photographing walls.

World rebuilt15.jpg

World rebuilt16.jpg

World rebuilt17.jpg

World rebuilt18.jpg

@corbettclassics excellent!!!!
That is the best "front on" perspective of a set of pedals on a ca. 96' World that I have seen yet, all the other images being side profiles the information I can gather is limited.
Do those look close to Record pedals to you? Makes me second guess my pedal choice.
I would think a racer may have different pedals than a roadster. Were you able to determine the gauge of the tube? Like you said earlier if you could identify the seat you may have a better idea what model. V/r Shawn

Back