When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca. 1896 "Transit Cycles" Albert & JM Anderson Two Man Tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Something I'm tinkering with today

Anderson Brothers Tandem1.jpg

Anderson Brothers Stamp.png

Anderson Brothers Factory.jpg

Transit Cycles with Multicycle.jpg

Transit Cycles Sign.jpg

1e0a0711cedf33a33fe5300b07b5b5d7.jpg

Looks like I’m missing an oval badge, horizontally spaced badge screw holes.

The wheelman list the make as “Anderson Transit” but the badge I’ve seen although different seems to read “The Transit”

Either may be an option, please check your badge stash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From period publications it looks like Albert & JM (Johan) Anderson manufactured The Transit bicycle for model years 1895, 1896 and 1897 in Boston. Not sure yet for 1898 and on. The company still exists today as Anderson Power Products making electrical connectors. Did not find a lot on them as they seem to be more regional to New England and not marketed heavily nationally. They did not have displays at the big annual New York and Chicago bicycle shows in January of those years. They did exhibit at the first annual New England Cycle Show in February 1897. Found one reference that they had a 1897 catalog. Also found four existing Transits online - SN 1221 (men's restored by Time Machine Limited), SN 2165 (tandem - posted above), SN 12363 (tandem sold by Jesse in 2017) and SN 12465 (posted on CABE in 2010).

April 2, 1895 - Official Gazette of the US Patent Office:
1895.04.02 - Official Gazette of US Patent Office - Transit name.JPG

May 26, 1895 - Boston Sunday Post:
1895.05.26 - Boston Sunday Post - Transit Ad.JPG

October 10, 1895 - The Bearings:
1895.10.10 - The Bearings - Anderson Factory.JPG

October 31, 1895 - The Bearings:
1895.10.31 - The Bearings - Transit Ad.JPG

November 14, 1895 - The Bearings (This publication kept an ongoing registry of bicycle names. This was the first time Transit was listed. November 1895 there were around 750 bicycle names listed. By January 30, 1896 there were 1106 names listed with around 100 of the names used by at least two manufacturers:(
1895.11.14 - The Referee - Anderson Transit new register with magazine.JPG

January 23, 1896 - The Referee (Celluloid nameplate manufacturer listing Transit as one of their clients:(
1896.01.23 - The Referee - Transit celluloid nameplate.JPG

March 13, 1896 - Harvard Lampoon:
1896.03.13 - Harvard Lampoon - Transit Ad.JPG

September 17, 1896 - The Referee:
1896.09.17 - The Referee - Transit Quint.JPG

February 26, 1897 - The Wheel and Cycle Trade Review (Transit exhibited at first annual New England Cycle Show in Boston:(
1897.02.26 - The Wheel and Cycle Trade Review - Transit at New England Cycle Show.JPG

Transit (Serial Number 1221) restored by Time Machine Limited:
2.jpg

5.jpg

26.jpg

Transit (Serial Number 12465) from CABE 2010:
1.jpg

Undated advertisement:
Nickell Magazine.JPG

@Blue Streak for the win!! Jeff you have outdone yourself!

I Think that round Transit badge has confirmed my suspicion that the sign indicated the badge design AND has shown me what I am looking for!!!

SO! Time to start an official badge trading "post"

Jesse, Thanks for reproducing the pictures of the men's Transit I restored a while back; it's always been one of my favorites and attracted much
attention the few times I showed it; once at Trexlertown and another time at Lars Anderson. For anyone that has an interest there are many more
pictures of this bike on my website: ( [email protected] ) along with multiple nice clear of pictures of many of the bikes I've restored
over the years. I really need to update the website with pictures of other bikes I've restored during the past few years and neglected to post pictures
of ( mostly because of a chaotic schedule that I'm currently winding down to something a bit more manageable ). Most of my restoration projects
of the past 9 years are in the collection of a gentleman in Switzerland......last count I believe he now owns 32 of them. It's sad in a way; I really had
hoped all of my work would be in the hands of collectors in the U.S. but only rarely have any been willing to pay for the time and labor that has to go
into a restoration to achieve the high standard to which I'm committed. Hoping all is well with you buddy; that Transit Tandem is a beauty, you seem
to truly have have a knack for finding the good stuff.

Jesse, Thanks for reproducing the pictures of the men's Transit I restored a while back; it's always been one of my favorites and attracted much
attention the few times I showed it; once at Trexlertown and another time at Lars Anderson. For anyone that has an interest there are many more
pictures of this bike on my website: ( [email protected] ) along with multiple nice clear of pictures of many of the bikes I've restored
over the years. I really need to update the website with pictures of other bikes I've restored during the past few years and neglected to post pictures
of ( mostly because of a chaotic schedule that I'm currently winding down to something a bit more manageable ). Most of my restoration projects
of the past 9 years are in the collection of a gentleman in Switzerland......last count I believe he now owns 32 of them. It's sad in a way; I really had
hoped all of my work would be in the hands of collectors in the U.S. but only rarely have any been willing to pay for the time and labor that has to go
into a restoration to achieve the high standard to which I'm committed. Hoping all is well with you buddy; that Transit Tandem is a beauty, you seem
to truly have have a knack for finding the good stuff.

Kind words Dick, I apologize for not crediting you and your work sooner. I didn’t want to cause a stir as I know that’s a bike folks have tried to bribe you for details on its current whereabouts-

I’ll get this one finished eventually and it will be a fine addition to the current Anderson brothers line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FanTAStic! Jesse.
That is such a magnificently designed bicycle.
Strong and elegant all at the same time.
Finding that headbadge must have been a daunting task.
Kudos to the person that made that fabulous little piece of metal available to you.
The Transit is always a pleasure to behold.
By all means, please keep us posted on any progress made during its resurrection.

Back