When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Ca. 1897 Syracuse "Pacer"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
1400 shipped
Zipcode

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
For your consideration:
Difficult to find original paint original equipment ca. 1897 Syracuse bicycle.
This machine will definitely satisfy the need for a killer period speed machine in any collection.

Strikingly similar to the Stearns as it was made by the same parent company but distinct in a number of ways as well.

High end original equipment throughout, P&H saddle, Record pedals, etc etc
Currently set up with period 1" racing rims and tires which makes for a killer look, a replacement wheelset could easily be mocked up to make a patina rider with a greasing/ servicing.

No damage other than aesthetic wear, perfect time capsule bike or if you are so inclined there is certainly enough original detail to study to recreate this bicycle in its full ca. 1897 glory. Good chance the image shown in the first advertisement attached was the original decal on the headtube though I have never seen a surviving specimen.

The details and build of this machine match the catalog description of the Syracuse "Pacer" model though it may be using that phrase in place of something more akin to scorcher. Pictured are a couple catalog cuts from the 1897 catalog showing some details of the Syracuse build and the Pacer profile view. Check out their artful description of the raw materials, pretty impressive.

$1400 Shipped CONUS OBO or can be delivered to Memory Lane
Located in Richmond, VA where pickup can be arranged if preferred.
As always, INTERESTING TRADE is always an option, PM me to discuss.

Syracuse1.jpg

Syracuse2.jpg

Syracuse3.jpg

Syracuse4.jpg

Syracuse5.jpg

Syracuse6.jpg

Syracuse7.jpg

Syracuse8.jpg

1897 Syracuse Advert.jpg

1897 Syracuse Pacer.jpg

1897 Syracuse 2.jpg

Last edited:
G’day Jesse.
I hope things are going well for you.
I may have mentioned to you before that I would like a late 1890’s/ TOC track racer
to - 1. Ride 2. Take to vintage bike meetings.
I have for a long time wanted a Massey Harris track racer, but after years of looking that paddock is still empty.
My question is mate, in your opinion would this bike be a good starting point for me to be able to achieve those goals?
Are the wood rims still good? As in for a rebuild for display?
I would probably send of the seat and grips to Paul Watson for restoration.
Looking forward to hearing what you think may be the best way to go forward.
Kind regards
Darren Anderson

Back