When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ca. 1937 Adler Dreigang / 3-Gang German bottom bracket 3 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Common practice for aircraft sheet metal is to drill a small hole at the end of the tear to stop any further tearing I guess the repair theory was it diffusers the direction of the tear and stops any further damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm making slow progress.I needed to remove the chainring to get to a bearing and a fossilized rubber seal. I tried last week, borrowing an electricians tri-stand at work. This variety has a chain clamp on it, and I really liked how well it grabbed the gear end. BUT that chainring was on very, very tightly after 79 years. I destroyed my chain whip without budging the ring. So, rooting aroun the scrap pile and picking up nuts and bolts around the site I made my own adjustable Adler Chainring wrench out of some Unistrut and fittings.I knew I needed grade 8 bolts for the prongs, but the local strip mall hardware store did not have any with long enough threads. I used the garden variety 1/4X20s, and they bent just as the ring was starting to move. So I re-engineered the wrench into a non-adjustable with the grade 8s I had, and with not much effort the ring came off! (After week of heating it up on the stove a couple times each night and liberal use of Kroil). Now I can start re-assembling mechanical bits.
parts%20apart_zpsonzy3q2e.jpg

tristand_zpsc4panzsg.jpg

Long hours at work and a trip home (yay!) were keeping me occupied. I have the paint as cleaned up and touched up as much as I want to. There is a difference between the original paint (very shiny) and the Tractor Supply paint with hardener (less shiny). The hardener definitely helped but I wasn't able to get it as polished as the original baked-on asphalt and copal resin original. It still looks 80 years old so I am content. When I get a free weekend I will touch up the pinstripes to make the bike look better but not tarted up.
I found one worn out part, and it had me worried for a while. The "Gegenmutter" or stop nut for one of the crank axle bearings. It was a thin aluminum disc with badly worn male external threads and a recess for a gasket. I couldn't find a stock part like it and was resigned to making one on the Mighty Craftsman lathe when I got home. I finally got around to taking decent measurements of the part, and after some digging around on the web I found a just about perfect match- a camera lens adapter! Made to put a c-mount lens on a camera with M42X1 threads. It even has a recess for the gasket. I just drilled two holes for a pin spanner and screwed it in. And there was much rejoicing. This part looks like it was designed to fail before the bottom bracket shell (eminently sensible), so I am glad there is an easy off the shelf fix. $9.50 delivered from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-C-MOUN...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sadly, this project has come to an end. After the bike flights box arrived, it was staged on the stairs behind a security gate but after taking out the recycling someone... did not latch the gate and the next morning it was gone. For the thieves I'm sure it was the bike equivalent of an Amazon box containing a can of cat food- a crappy looking bike frame, three wheels and four rusty fenders. The only sale-able bits would have been two 26" Velocity Blunts with amateurish pinstripes laced onto a 1938 Torpedo coaster brake and a nondescript front hub with tires with the logos sanded off. Other interesting bits were in another box- at least I still have the chainring. I am heading out to Yosemite for a week to forget. But at least I have pretty OK translation of the manual and know how to put the transmission back together . Feh.

Sadly, this project has come to an end. After the bike flights box arrived, it was staged on the stairs behind a security gate but after taking out the recycling someone... did not latch the gate and the next morning it was gone. For the thieves I'm sure it was the bike equivalent of an Amazon box containing a can of cat food- a crappy looking bike frame, three wheels and four rusty fenders. The only sale-able bits would have been two 26" Velocity Blunts with amateurish pinstripes laced onto a 1938 Torpedo coaster brake and a nondescript front hub with tires with the logos sanded off. Other interesting bits were in another box- at least I still have the chainring. I am heading out to Yosemite for a week to forget. But at least I have pretty OK translation of the manual and know how to put the transmission back together . Feh.

Damn this sucks........I was wondering how the resto was going and I'd found some info on the original pinstripe pattern I was going to pass on.
Sorry to hear the bike got stolen !!!!

Worst part, not ALL of it was stolen. About all that would really be sale-able were two new rims and tires. The box showed up a few days ago across the street containing only 1 28" clincher rim and 4 old tires so the perp can't be far away. My wife suspects the crazy hoarder guy around the corner, but I think I'm on pretty good terms with him. I'm still interested in the pinstripes- the Export and Domestic versions were very different.

Worst part, not ALL of it was stolen. About all that would really be sale-able were two new rims and tires. The box showed up a few days ago across the street containing only 1 28" clincher rim and 4 old tires so the perp can't be far away. My wife suspects the crazy hoarder guy around the corner, but I think I'm on pretty good terms with him. I'm still interested in the pinstripes- the Export and Domestic versions were very different.

Damn......hopefully you'll find out who took it and hopefully even the bike.
Here is the link to where I saw the ladies bike with the pins - blue and white which I think is what you found.
I think the one you had would be considered domestic.......remember a guy from the US bought it while in Germany and then shipped it home.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1930s/1938-2/1938-adler-dammenrad-ladies-bicycle/

Back