CABE MARKET VALUE

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Old Bicycles' started by Kickstand3, Feb 13, 2018.

1. #1 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Finally riding a big boys bike

OR CMR

In every other kinda business there’s market value why not here . At the end of the day only your check book will determine that though. Seems like to me a lot of you guys have a lot of knowledge and experience and some just think they know everything , even though that’s not the case . I promise you that lot of collectors have objects they want to post and just want a fair price, doesn’t have to be the last nickel . What is we could post something here so you guys can evaluate it , spit on it or wet your pants for it . Then it could be moved over to the for sale section and there’s no misunderstanding.
    1 st think don’t be scared
    2 post at least 6 pics

I’ll go first 5f72cfae5575d9713455080ebc882c00.jpg 589244f4f79457e457b9a0c7a90056f8.jpg 3a23eeade84fc49b63e9b9bc59ea4b2c.jpg e0421daca2c67c6bd8f122c11a59a1e5.jpg 7e149425d2dbc88203d2e1a514228a11.jpg 1e3457516876ec4713c345fff4540225.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WetDogGraphix likes this.
  2. #2 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline

Other hobbies have price guides but there are not guides for everything. In this case its watching sales, searching the for sale section, looking at Ebay sold items, and going to meets where you get a feel for 'market' price which fluctuates with demand. When in doubt either go a little high with OBO or list on Ebay. I sold a rack like yours for $150 last year. V/r Shawn

3. #3 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

B8A83227-4956-40B1-8F4C-0C13B4C8AD4F.jpeg Same carrier as on my Mead Ranger.

4. #4 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Thats what im talking about your a smart guy and well respected on the Cabe
    Thank you SIRRRRRRRRRRR

5. #5 Posted Feb 13, 2018

NEXT

bikemonkey likes this.
  6. #6 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Wore out three sets of tires already!

My buying pricing is determined by how bad I want it how much $ seller wants, how much $ I have to spend then I try to make a deal fair to both of us. Although I am not afraid to make a low ball offer just to gauge how bad the seller wants to sell. I got a Schwinn 5 speed Manta Ray at Ann Arbor one year for $400, the seller wanted $800 and it was late in the day so I threw out a number I didn't think he would take but he didn't want to haul it home and excepted it. I was happy and he was happy. End of a great day.

7. #7 Posted Feb 13, 2018

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

Yea, a fella wanted $300 for a 1918-1921 Rowboat motor, last day of sale at pack-up time I told him $65.00... I got it!!!.

8. #8 Posted Feb 13, 2018

i for one think this is a great idea. however, im pretty sure its going to go over like a fart in church here at the cabe... it seems that there is always someone here, usually someone new, trying to get info on what there bike is worth but the majority of people lambaste the individual rather than help. i suspect most of the people with the knowledge to help keep there mouths shut in hopes of getting a below market deal.

9. #9 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline

I think some people that have spent thousands of hours acquiring the knowledge get tired of "one hit wonders" and "pickers" who come here and think this is some sort of free appraisal service. How many times has this happened and then the person turned around and listed the bike/item on Ebay without even giving consideration to the forum that helped them in the first place? Then there are the people that are just too lazy to do some basic research. I know I can come across curt sometimes but the bottom line is I'm willing to help someone more often than not if they ask.

I have seen a few attempts at trying to make some sort of price guide both in print and online. Even with really good guides they are misused and misinterpreted a lot of times. With other collectibles how many times have you heard "well the price guide says its worth $xxx not paying any attention to condition or if it is truly a comparable item? Or how about "there is one listed on Ebay for $xxx" Great how about doing a search on Ebay for sold items and see what it really brings.

Sorry for the venting but that's the story from this side of the fence. V/r Shawn

Oilit, Barto, Jay81 and 6 others like this.
  10. #10 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Unfortunately there are sellers that remove their asking price after an item sells. This combined with the time to sell helps gauge some estimate of market value.

Can someone please fill me in on what the purpose of removing your price serves? Only two people really know what the selling price was. Isn't that enough?

Chad

11. #11 Posted Feb 13, 2018

I live for the CABE

Removing price? Some sellers blank out the whole thread with ....

Wait, I’ve done that. But only to clean up a sale ad with multiple listings. I always guessed it might be so they could ask more for the same type of item later.

kirk thomas and Kickstand3 like this.
  12. #12 Posted Feb 13, 2018

I live for the CABE

B90830E5-74EC-4E99-A81E-343839F081E0.jpeg

I don’t want to find 5 more photos on my phone.

bikemonkey, Maskadeo and Kickstand3 like this.
  13. #13 Posted Feb 13, 2018

I live for the CABE

I totally agree with you, it helps when researching what to ask when selling something similar, also an idea of what to pay for something.

14. #14 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

My concern about online appraisals is the potential for "malpractice" of a sort. Someone may come online asking for appraisal of an item and give incomplete (or worse deceptive) pictures of the item. You give an approximate value, but what you are valuing are pictures on a screen. A case in point is a 28 inch motobike I bought a few years ago. It was pictured from every angle except the non-drive side, which of course is where there was a significant kink in the frame from a collision with a car. Another case - an English 3-speed someone sent me in an email with lots of pictures, well, lots of pictures except where there the frame had a rust hole in the seat stay underside by the bottom bracket. Those defects fundamentally change the value, and you don't want the seller spouting off that "Mike knows these bikes and said it's worth THIS much", when in reality, it's worth nowhere near that because what you are "valuing" and what actually exists are not the same. You don't want your name tied up with this sort of behavior.

So you could give an appraisal, but the appraisal is only as good or as honest as the item presented. That's not to say NEVER give an appraisal, but they should be very sparingly given because you want it to be right.

15. #15 Posted Feb 13, 2018

What a comparable bike has sold for a hundred times in the past doesn't mean anything to me when I'm buying or selling. When selling, I know what the minimum is I will take and when buying I know what the maximum is I will pay. I don't need to do research or scratch my head. Granted, I'm not buying/selling big ticket items, usually in the $500 to $1,500 range and that might make it easier.

16. #16 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

the most bizarre move ever on here and I'll never figure out why someone would "Bleep" out
    the price of what ever it was they were selling once it sold.

It's like some nut job did that one day and everyone like lemmings followed suit.

17. #17 Posted Feb 13, 2018

I’m not in the bicycle business I’m a used car broker . I just happen to like old bikes. I learn from my mistakes and watching others , I just happen to have a good eye. I walk through life pick up things of interest. Some times it works for me and sometimes it doesn’t, but I sure do have fun with it . I bet everyone on the Cabe has something they like but are not 100 % sure what the have . I think if we all help each other, when we list a item there’s no misunderstanding. What’s wrong with that ?
    Enjoy the Ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fordmike65 likes this.
  18. #18 Posted Feb 13, 2018

What’s the lowest price you’ll take and and it’s still not enough...lol that’s CABE prices...

RustyK likes this.
  19. #19 Posted Feb 13, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Kickstand3, I've read & re-read this thread several times. There is a lot of good information in it. You might want to re-read your own posts, as they come off, especially to people that may not know you, as somewhat, adversarial & condescending. The Cabe is a great resource that is also very easy to use. You just have to do a little homework, the tools are here, and it's not that difficult. I hope that this helps to clear it up for you, enjoy the ride.

Barto, fordmike65 and sarmis like this.
  20. #20 Posted Feb 13, 2018