When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CABE MARKET VALUE

-
Unfortunately there are sellers that remove their asking price after an item sells. This combined with the time to sell helps gauge some estimate of market value.

Can someone please fill me in on what the purpose of removing your price serves? Only two people really know what the selling price was. Isn't that enough?

Chad

Removing price? Some sellers blank out the whole thread with ....

Wait, I’ve done that. But only to clean up a sale ad with multiple listings. I always guessed it might be so they could ask more for the same type of item later.

B90830E5-74EC-4E99-A81E-343839F081E0.jpeg

I don’t want to find 5 more photos on my phone.

Unfortunately there are sellers that remove their asking price after an item sells. This combined with the time to sell helps gauge some estimate of market value.

Can someone please fill me in on what the purpose of removing your price serves? Only two people really know what the selling price was. Isn't that enough?

Chad
I totally agree with you, it helps when researching what to ask when selling something similar, also an idea of what to pay for something.

My concern about online appraisals is the potential for "malpractice" of a sort. Someone may come online asking for appraisal of an item and give incomplete (or worse deceptive) pictures of the item. You give an approximate value, but what you are valuing are pictures on a screen. A case in point is a 28 inch motobike I bought a few years ago. It was pictured from every angle except the non-drive side, which of course is where there was a significant kink in the frame from a collision with a car. Another case - an English 3-speed someone sent me in an email with lots of pictures, well, lots of pictures except where there the frame had a rust hole in the seat stay underside by the bottom bracket. Those defects fundamentally change the value, and you don't want the seller spouting off that "Mike knows these bikes and said it's worth THIS much", when in reality, it's worth nowhere near that because what you are "valuing" and what actually exists are not the same. You don't want your name tied up with this sort of behavior.

So you could give an appraisal, but the appraisal is only as good or as honest as the item presented. That's not to say NEVER give an appraisal, but they should be very sparingly given because you want it to be right.

What a comparable bike has sold for a hundred times in the past doesn't mean anything to me when I'm buying or selling. When selling, I know what the minimum is I will take and when buying I know what the maximum is I will pay. I don't need to do research or scratch my head. Granted, I'm not buying/selling big ticket items, usually in the $500 to $1,500 range and that might make it easier.

Chad

the most bizarre move ever on here and I'll never figure out why someone would "Bleep" out
the price of what ever it was they were selling once it sold.

It's like some nut job did that one day and everyone like lemmings followed suit.

I’m not in the bicycle business I’m a used car broker . I just happen to like old bikes. I learn from my mistakes and watching others , I just happen to have a good eye. I walk through life pick up things of interest. Some times it works for me and sometimes it doesn’t, but I sure do have fun with it . I bet everyone on the Cabe has something they like but are not 100 % sure what the have . I think if we all help each other, when we list a item there’s no misunderstanding. What’s wrong with that ?
Enjoy the Ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kickstand3, I've read & re-read this thread several times. There is a lot of good information in it. You might want to re-read your own posts, as they come off, especially to people that may not know you, as somewhat, adversarial & condescending. The Cabe is a great resource that is also very easy to use. You just have to do a little homework, the tools are here, and it's not that difficult. I hope that this helps to clear it up for you, enjoy the ride.

Back