When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cad/Zinc plating

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I know a little about cad plating. In California, no shops cad plates unless the were grandfathered in when the EPA started cracking down. It seems the pollution issues are too great concerning cadmium. British motorcycles of the past used cad for all the exposed fasteners. It seems that cad self heals. A slipped spanner that scratches the plating won't rust as easily on cad as it will on zinc (galvanized). Cadmium offers a combination of properties which no other metal or alloy can match. Cadmium's properties include: galvanic protection for steel, excellent galvanic compatibility with aluminum, good lubricity (freedom from stick-slip) for consistent torquing of fasteners, freedom from gummy corrosion products, malleability, softness, usefulness at low coating thicknesses, excellent adhesion far superior to paint. The finishes go from shiny to dull. The material can also be dyed a variety of colors.
I don't know which bicycles used cad as a finish. But, if you need cad plating, I DO know that Van Nuys Plating in CA does great work at reasonable prices very quickly. Small parts are tumbled while delicate or large and heavy pieces are hung. The best looking finish happens on consistent material. Bead blasted nuts and bolts have a rich glow. Polished parts shine! I've always been pleased with their work.
IMG_0050.JPG
This plating is over 30 years old.

Last edited:
The zinc coated parts can be polished on a buffing wheel for a vintage luster.
Make sure to wear a good mask, because the dust is toxic....

So I've heard from a couple of folks local to FQMF who have used them regularly and are very pleased with their work. I was simply relating my experience and the problems I encountered. If you are local and can drop off/pick up your parts then you probably won't have the problems I did. V/r Shawn

Back