When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cadre et fourche de piste?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks to all for helping out, @bulldog1935, @juvela and especially @MauriceMoss. That's a great first posting!
I'm thinking of going 100% French on this build, or would all Campagnolo be appropriate for a bicycle of this era?

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help out. My friend @juvela tagged me over on BikeForums about this ID thread, so I just created an account here.

I also see that @beritnjim nailed the exact model!

Thanks again to @juvela, @bulldog1935, @MauriceMoss and @bertinjim.
Sterling work one and all.
I think I will go down the French route re. components, as @juvela said the range of possibilities is greater, and slightly less costly! Lol.
I will need to repaint I think. I've noticed that their are many different paint colours on the 'bertinclassiccycles' site, were there standard colours for a '78 C56 model, or could you order in any colour?

Thanks again to @juvela, @bulldog1935, @MauriceMoss and @bertinjim.
Sterling work one and all.
I think I will go down the French route re. components, as @juvela said the range of possibilities is greater, and slightly less costly! Lol.
I will need to repaint I think. I've noticed that their are many different paint colours on the 'bertinclassiccycles' site, were there standard colours for a '78 C56 model, or could you order in any colour?

-----

Howdy Darren,

Vintage velo expert Wolfram Verktyg who worked at a San Francisco bicycle importer-distributor during the nineteen seventies reports that they could order the Bertin bicycles any way they wanted them. Evidently it was not a "take it or leave it" situation as to how the models were built & kitted.

I would think this information gives you plenty of leeway regarding livery and build.... :smiley:

One example of a french theme build I thought of would be to go SPECTA as the company offered chainsets, pedals, headsets & accessories. Heck, that is almost a group. It could be completed with something such as Perrin 2000 (Pelissier) hubs, Routens saddle pillar and Philippe adjustable track stem. Just one possible idea of many... ;)

-----

Thanks @juvela, I wish I could go back to the Saumur cyclejumble last weekend. I’m certain I could have purchased everything you've mentioned their and then.
I may well go for a custom paint option, I do like a colourful machine.
I'll look into into the SPECTA equipment, not a marque I'm familiar with.

-----

SPECTA is trade shorthand for Specialtes T.A. It is employed in distributor price lists, brochures and other trade materials. Apologies for the obscure language!

If you should be fond of the five arm 144BCD pattern chainsets one you might consider is the Tevano. IIRC the Tevano marque launched in ~'lxxviii. The first advert shown below was published June 1978. The logo is a feather. Quite beautiful and offered in two finishes: either polished or anodised. (produit de T.A.)

Tevano advert a 6:78 .jpg
Tevano advert b) .jpeg
Tevano piste manivelles .jpeg

-----

the basic 144mm bcd Super Record crank was cloned in exactness (except for the marque) by everybody, Tevano, Gipemme, Miche, Sugino.
My Sugino Mighty Comp from 1978 now on my daughter's Fuji
2lZ8WwK.jpg
If you're a big guy and you stand on your crank, the Super Record clones are indestructible.

here's a TA set up as single
People have been known to warp their chainrings under torque.
DSCF0599.jpg

TA even has a new batch of crank arms
9k=.jpg

outer rings are 50.4mm bcd to grab the TA crank arms on the "inner" bolt circle.
you can buy these chainrings new from Spa Cycles, SJS - many hometown suppliers for you.
also Roba in Germany https://www.roba-bikeparts.com/shop/Chainrings---3.html

same suppliers will have new TA-made 144 bcd chainrings for the Super Record clone cranks.

Here's the TA spindle width chart
ta-bb-axles.gif
here's one of my TA triples, runing 121mm BB with 4mm offset. (these are Sun XCD TA-clone crank arms with TA chainrings)
ySW9KTd.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again @juvela and @bulldog1935.
I'm familiar with TA.
Will have to start searching now, but with 3 other projects on the go also it may be a little way down the line before you get to see the finished article.
I also almost purchased a '60s Bernard Carré built piste frame while in Saumur, I have contact details if anyone is interested?

Thanks again @juvela and @bulldog1935.
I'm familiar with TA.
Will have to start searching now, but with 3 other projects on the go also it may be a little way down the line before you get to see the finished article.
I also almost purchased a '60s Bernard Carré built piste frame while in Saumur, I have contact details if anyone is interested?

-----

wrt the Bernard piste am sure that Lynn Travers of Missouri would love to see it, if he has not done so already. Very keen on Sauvage-Lejeune and Bernard in particular he is. He retains six or so pieces of Bernard's work and always keeps an eye out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cv-6enterprises/

here is a discussion on his current project:

http://m.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1147426&highlight=bare

---

Ron -

wrt to fishing tackle -

when was growing up me Pa's brother was a sporting goods sales rep. two of the lines he handled were Harnell rods and Zebco reels so these were part of the family's sportfishing gear. this was in the fifties and early sixties of the past century.

-----

Back