This ad disappears when logged in

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
-----
Ron -

wrt to fishing tackle -

when was growing up me Pa's brother was a sporting goods sales rep. two of the lines he handled were Harnell rods and Zebco reels so these were part of the family's sportfishing gear. this was in the fifties and early sixties of the past century.

-----
you must be pacific coast to handle Harnell. I'm currently trying to get my hands back on an 8' Harnell I sold 10 year ago - want to take it to the salt flats with a Valentine planetary reel
2jnzzzk.jpg

Harnell carved his handles from solid-block cork, instead of using cork rings
PT3j2aT.jpg

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
Playa del Rey, United States
-----

wrt "pacific coast" - that makes sense.

me Pa and his brother were born in Colorado and spent their entire adult lives in California.

what does one fish for on the "salt flats"?

when hear that term think of Mr. Craig Breedlove.

-----

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 21, 2013
Bulverde, TX
redfish, speckled (sea)trout, black drum, flounder, snook - the first 3 are all members of the croaker and drum family, scienids, as are the greatest number of inshore species.
At the jetties and passes catch mackerel, jacks and even tarpon.
The Texas coast is lined with barrier islands, and there are 15,000 sq-mi less than 2' deep.
I'm going to send you a couple of pm and catch you up on a fishing conversation I've been having with Sven.

Last edited:

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

Minutiae pour Monsieur Darren,

ALGI catalogue page of 1955 and modern ALGI allen key binder bolts -

ALGI, 1955 catalogue page .jpg
ALGI allen seat binder .jpg

-----

dnc1

I live for the CABE
Apr 1, 2016
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
-----

wrt the Bernard piste am sure that Lynn Travers of Missouri would love to see it, if he has not done so already. Very keen on Sauvage-Lejeune and Bernard in particular he is. He retains six or so pieces of Bernard's work and always keeps an eye out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cv-6enterprises/

here is a discussion on his current project:

http://m.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1147426&highlight=bare

---

Ron -

wrt to fishing tackle -

when was growing up me Pa's brother was a sporting goods sales rep. two of the lines he handled were Harnell rods and Zebco reels so these were part of the family's sportfishing gear. this was in the fifties and early sixties of the past century.

-----
It was indeed a Sauvage-Lejeune.

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

The Sauvage badge ends ~1968-69.

Later products marked as Lejeune or else contract builds.

-----

corbettclassics

I live for the CABE
Feb 11, 2012
Burbank, United States
-----

Hello again Darren,

If it were me I would consider 1978 a "hard" date and not employ any fittings of a later time.

Replacement Bertin transfers are readily available.

You could go all Campag if you wished.

It is more mentally and visually interesting to go with french fittings as there are multiple quality time appropriate options at each point on the machine...

The Bertin numbering system was to place the size or serial above the axle slot in the left dropout and the date (year) below the axle slot.

Here is an interesting one on a frame Bertin did for Urago - the two owners were friendly and there was cooperation. They also operated in opposite corners of the country so competition not a big issue.

View attachment 830396

The letter U here indicates it was done for Urago and the numeral fifty-nine is the year of manufacture.

In case any readers are unfamiliar with it there is an excellent enthusiast site for Bertin bicycles with a great deal of history information:

https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpress.com/

Thanks once again to Maurice for his outstanding help! ;)

-----
I guess they must have had this Type of numbering system from the early beginnings as well but slightly different.

Here's my early Bertin Track with the stampings on the left rear dropout. I bought it off the original owner and he said he bought it new in 1954 but I wrote down '52 on the envelope he gave me with the original decals he purchased for it. He probably told me '52 but I thought I remember '54 - either way a very early Bertin Track with Nervex Pro lug set. I need to get going on this restoration as its been sitting here amongst all my other track stuff for 32 years now!

L1110056.JPG

L1110055.JPG

dnc1

I live for the CABE
Apr 1, 2016
I guess they must have had this Type of numbering system from the early beginnings as well but slightly different.

Here's my early Bertin Track with the stampings on the left rear dropout. I bought it off the original owner and he said he bought it new in 1954 but I wrote down '52 on the envelope he gave me with the original decals he purchased for it. He probably told me '52 but I thought I remember '54 - either way a very early Bertin Track with Nervex Pro lug set. I need to get going on this restoration as its been sitting here amongst all my other track stuff for 32 years now!

View attachment 1023221

View attachment 1023222
Very nice Bill!
Look forward to seeing it some day.

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

Andy also did a good deal of contract work for Urago.

Curious, as the two makers were in the far opposite corners of France Metropolitaine.

Perhaps they were acquainted from their respective racing days.

Have an Urago road frameset from 1960 with the Bertin pattern serial arrangement on the left dropout.

Also exhibits the Bertin seat stay treatment.

-----

Last edited:

corbettclassics

I live for the CABE
Feb 11, 2012
Burbank, United States
Very nice Bill!
Look forward to seeing it some day.
Here's a couple quick shots of it how it sits now. It was originally black paint with chrome lugs, half lower fork chrome ( chrome fork crown ) and half seat and chain stay chrome. I did a light paint over the original and made my own decals. I'm going to lightly strip this down to the original chrome and paint to see what it looks like because it's been over 30 yrs since I last saw it in its original form. I remember the chrome was starting to flake off on the lower head nervex lug and that's why I painted it to give it my own look. It will be back to correct period form when I finish though. I also got a set of period correct Prior high flange hubs for it and Stronglight #55 track cranks. I'm starting to get excited about this one. This being the very early 1950's and really nothing to go on for an original track bike, I'm hoping the decals are all correct. The main "ABertin" decal is the match to the original.

Andre Bertin 1954 001.jpg
Andre Bertin 1954 002.jpg

L1110052.JPG

IMG_7655.JPG

dnc1

I live for the CABE
Apr 1, 2016
Here's a couple quick shots of it how it sits now. It was originally black paint with chrome lugs, half lower fork chrome ( chrome fork crown ) and half seat and chain stay chrome. I did a light paint over the original and made my own decals. I'm going to lightly strip this down to the original chrome and paint to see what it looks like because it's been over 30 yrs since I last saw it in its original form. I remember the chrome was starting to flake off on the lower head nervex lug and that's why I painted it to give it my own look. It will be back to correct period form when I finish though. I also got a set of period correct Prior high flange hubs for it and Stronglight #55 track cranks. I'm starting to get excited about this one. This being the very early 1950's and really nothing to go on for an original track bike, I'm hoping the decals are all correct. The main "ABertin" decal is the match to the original.

View attachment 1024024 View attachment 1024025

View attachment 1024026

View attachment 1024027
Sounds (and looks) like the makings of a very fine machine. I'm sure you'll more than do it justice!

dnc1

I live for the CABE
Apr 1, 2016
-----

Andy also did a good deal of contract work for Urago.

Curious, as the two makers were in the far opposite corners of France.

Perhaps they were acquainted from their respective racing days.

Have an Urago road frameset from 1960 with the Bertin pattern serial arrangement on the left dropout.

Also exhibits the Bertin seat stay treatment.

-----
Interesting stuff @juvela, but no picture is visible to me?

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
-----

dnc1 -

appears a wee dram o' creativitude were required for the fitment o' that anterior arrestor caliper

can ye tell us anent it?

---

no peechas o' me Andy built Urago as doona ha' capacity to make daguerreotipicos o' the digital sort

thar be however a discussion, with imagery, of a frame nearly identical to mine here -

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1037858-please-help-me-identify-mystery-frame.html

my example in livery originale: faded purple flambouyant with silver lining

[all peechas posted by me are somebody else's]

---

corbettclassics -

luv seeing those Priors

as most readers prolly know, this badge is one belonging to Etablissements Perrin

have some small flange fellows on a '57 Urago

does the marking on the barrel show the plume/quill?

since you will be building wheels...hast thee considered going bois?

-----

Last edited:

corbettclassics

I live for the CABE
Feb 11, 2012
Burbank, United States
-----

dnc1 -

appears a wee dram o' creativitude were required for the fitment o' that anterior arrestor caliper

can ye tell us anent it?

---

no peechas o' me Andy built Urago as doona ha' capacity to make daguerreotipicos o' the digital sort

thar be however a discussion, with imagery, of a frame nearly identical to mine here -

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1037858-please-help-me-identify-mystery-frame.html

---

corbettclassics -

luv seeing those Priors

as most readers prolly know, this badge is one belonging to Etablissements Perrin

-----
I will not be using wood rims ( bois ) to build up the wheels. The rims are early alloy French rims called "Limone".

dnc1

I live for the CABE
Apr 1, 2016

View attachment 1024024 View attachment 1024025

View attachment 1024026

View attachment 1024027
Those hubs are stunning!

dnc1

I live for the CABE
Apr 1, 2016
-----

dnc1 -

can ye tell us anent it?

---

---

corbettclassics -

luv seeing those Priors

-----
The brake is a Dia-Compe set with special clamp-on fixings for undrilled track forks; available with clamps to fit round and oval fork blades.
Available as a complete kit including lever and cable, or as a caliper and clamps.
I purchased mine from tracksupermarket.com in Japan. They may be available in the U.S.
They also do a rear brake that mounts under the chainstays near the BB.
They also sometimes stock a beautifully made upside down mini quill-stem bracket that fits up inside the fork crown/steerer tube that allows the fitment of any brake caliper for the front wheel.
Stylish and beautifully made, yes, expensive, yes.
It would look lovely with a Campy delta or an '80's aero Shimano I think!

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture