When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cadre et fourche de piste?

-
-----
Ron -

wrt to fishing tackle -

when was growing up me Pa's brother was a sporting goods sales rep. two of the lines he handled were Harnell rods and Zebco reels so these were part of the family's sportfishing gear. this was in the fifties and early sixties of the past century.

-----
you must be pacific coast to handle Harnell. I'm currently trying to get my hands back on an 8' Harnell I sold 10 year ago - want to take it to the salt flats with a Valentine planetary reel
2jnzzzk.jpg

Harnell carved his handles from solid-block cork, instead of using cork rings
PT3j2aT.jpg

-----

wrt "pacific coast" - that makes sense.

me Pa and his brother were born in Colorado and spent their entire adult lives in California.

what does one fish for on the "salt flats"?

when hear that term think of Mr. Craig Breedlove.

-----

redfish, speckled (sea)trout, black drum, flounder, snook - the first 3 are all members of the croaker and drum family, scienids, as are the greatest number of inshore species.
At the jetties and passes catch mackerel, jacks and even tarpon.
The Texas coast is lined with barrier islands, and there are 15,000 sq-mi less than 2' deep.
I'm going to send you a couple of pm and catch you up on a fishing conversation I've been having with Sven.

Last edited:
-----

Minutiae pour Monsieur Darren,

ALGI catalogue page of 1955 and modern ALGI allen key binder bolts -

ALGI, 1955 catalogue page .jpg
ALGI allen seat binder .jpg

-----

-----

wrt the Bernard piste am sure that Lynn Travers of Missouri would love to see it, if he has not done so already. Very keen on Sauvage-Lejeune and Bernard in particular he is. He retains six or so pieces of Bernard's work and always keeps an eye out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cv-6enterprises/

here is a discussion on his current project:

http://m.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1147426&highlight=bare

---

Ron -

wrt to fishing tackle -

when was growing up me Pa's brother was a sporting goods sales rep. two of the lines he handled were Harnell rods and Zebco reels so these were part of the family's sportfishing gear. this was in the fifties and early sixties of the past century.

-----
It was indeed a Sauvage-Lejeune.

-----

The Sauvage badge ends ~1968-69.

Later products marked as Lejeune or else contract builds.

-----

-----

Hello again Darren,

If it were me I would consider 1978 a "hard" date and not employ any fittings of a later time.

Replacement Bertin transfers are readily available.

You could go all Campag if you wished.

It is more mentally and visually interesting to go with french fittings as there are multiple quality time appropriate options at each point on the machine...

The Bertin numbering system was to place the size or serial above the axle slot in the left dropout and the date (year) below the axle slot.

Here is an interesting one on a frame Bertin did for Urago - the two owners were friendly and there was cooperation. They also operated in opposite corners of the country so competition not a big issue.

View attachment 830396

The letter U here indicates it was done for Urago and the numeral fifty-nine is the year of manufacture.

In case any readers are unfamiliar with it there is an excellent enthusiast site for Bertin bicycles with a great deal of history information:

https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpress.com/

Thanks once again to Maurice for his outstanding help! ;)

-----

I guess they must have had this Type of numbering system from the early beginnings as well but slightly different.

Here's my early Bertin Track with the stampings on the left rear dropout. I bought it off the original owner and he said he bought it new in 1954 but I wrote down '52 on the envelope he gave me with the original decals he purchased for it. He probably told me '52 but I thought I remember '54 - either way a very early Bertin Track with Nervex Pro lug set. I need to get going on this restoration as its been sitting here amongst all my other track stuff for 32 years now!

L1110056.JPG

L1110055.JPG

I guess they must have had this Type of numbering system from the early beginnings as well but slightly different.

Here's my early Bertin Track with the stampings on the left rear dropout. I bought it off the original owner and he said he bought it new in 1954 but I wrote down '52 on the envelope he gave me with the original decals he purchased for it. He probably told me '52 but I thought I remember '54 - either way a very early Bertin Track with Nervex Pro lug set. I need to get going on this restoration as its been sitting here amongst all my other track stuff for 32 years now!

View attachment 1023221

View attachment 1023222
Very nice Bill!
Look forward to seeing it some day.

-----

Andy also did a good deal of contract work for Urago.

Curious, as the two makers were in the far opposite corners of France Metropolitaine.

Perhaps they were acquainted from their respective racing days.

Have an Urago road frameset from 1960 with the Bertin pattern serial arrangement on the left dropout.

Also exhibits the Bertin seat stay treatment.

-----

Last edited:
Back