~~ Call for Photos & Catalog Scans '37 - '41 Huffman Balloners for Western Flyer! ~~

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Krakatoa

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Oct 12, 2016
Bellows Falls VT
Okay so this is an interesting but obscure request. I'm looking to gather in one spot pictures of Western Flyer men's ballon tire tank bikes from the period of 1937 to 1941. Some but not many WF badged Huffman made bikes from 1940 and 1941 have been found with the second version "Zephyr" tank and five gill "windowshade tank". Available period scans of catalog ad material from this period show a preponderance of Shelby and CWC products. Those bikes are not what this this thread is aiming to discuss. The primary aim of this thread is to determine if there were also bikes produced during the period of 1937-1939 that used the first version tank and what the paint scheme and equipment was. So what I am hoping is someone has either an original WF badged original paint bike with early version tank '37-39, or someone has a Western Auto catalog '37-'39, that shows a Huffman Built bike of at this point hypothetical type. Here are some of the few pics I currently have found here on the Cabe to illustrate the question.

Here is 1940 model with the second version tank (metal tank bumps hold tank not brackets like the 1st version).

phone 071.jpg

Additionally while not the main focus of this thread, please feel free to post images/ad copy of the windowshade tank bikes as they don't get the attention they deserve.

Here is a 1941 bike with "windowshade" tank @oldfart36 had a while back...

20170517_094453 (1).jpg

20170416_144830.jpg

Last edited:

Krakatoa

Oct 12, 2016
Bellows Falls VT
Nice! Right there in the front of the line, interesting equipment, color scheme and no chainguard...o_O

Okay folks lets see some more of the years!

Last edited:
Reactions: fordmike65

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Keep in mind the '40 Zephyr tank looks the same but is different than the '37-9 tanks. Notice the 'bumps' on top to hold the tank. The earlier ones use the straps. V/r Shawn

Reactions: Beek and Krakatoa

Krakatoa

Oct 12, 2016
Bellows Falls VT
Scott this is the tank I am asking about.

1E2D943E-D936-431F-BE73-27DB89804A73.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Beek

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Is this a Zephyr tank? And what years was it on? Do you have a pic of the '37-'39 tank attachment? Are these the only differences between the tanks?

1E2D943E-D936-431F-BE73-27DB89804A73.jpeg
This is a ‘37-9 tank. The restored bike has a ‘40 tank. V/r Shawn

Krakatoa

Oct 12, 2016
Bellows Falls VT
I see they are like small sheetmetal bumps. The cost cutters must have been psyched when some engineer figured that one out! i'd rather have the straps...

The '40 catalog scan @fordmike posted is not sharp enough for me to tell which tank attaching method is used.

Is that a '40 only tank or did the model continue in '41? Any other differences in the two tanks you know of other than this?

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
I see they are like small sheetmetal bumps. The cost cutters must have been psyched when some engineer figured that one out! i'd rather have the straps...

The '40 catalog scan @fordmike posted is not sharp enough for me to tell which tank attaching method is used.

Is that a '40 only tank or did the model continue in '41? Any other differences in the two tanks you know of other than this?
'40 only for the bump Zephyr. The other tanks Huffman used in '40-'41 were the 'window shade' '40-'41, big lit tank '40, big tank unlit '40-'41. V/r Shawn

Krakatoa

Oct 12, 2016
Bellows Falls VT
Thanks so much Shawn awesome info!

Okay so we are looking for '37, '38, or '39 Western Auto catalog ad scans showing any WF badged Huffman tank bikes or photos of original paint bikes!

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Freqman1

Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Here's a 1941 Western Auto catalog page. Shows a long tank that doesn't appear to be a 5-gill window shade version.
IMG_20180120_183331.jpg

I have this complete page and more in an album of pre war Western Auto catalogs. Including 37-39, but don't see the long tank Huffmans in those.https://thecabe.com/forum/media/albums/prewar-western-auto-catalog-pages.1558/
Looks like some of the '40 tanks may have been carried into '41 for non-Huffman brands. The thing I always wonder about these illustrations is if they were taken from a actual photo or artists renditions? V/r Shawn

Reactions: Krakatoa

sam

I live for the CABE
May 24, 2006
San Antonio, United States
On Daves site under catalogs you'll find a 37 National catalog (Huffman brand)---you gotta read all the fine print but they offered a reverse paint---black head and red body.

Krakatoa

Oct 12, 2016
Bellows Falls VT
Thanks so much for the contributions @cds2323. Agree with you Shawn about the carryover. I believe the af cuts are artist's renditions from a photograph. Looking at the tank it cannot be surmised how it's held in but the small "bumps" of the '40 Zephyr tank carryover may have been lost in the artist's translation.

@sam thanks going to go look at the National catalog... Super interesting bike model with a great color scheme and equipment. But the topic here is trying to establish or disprove that Western Flyer offered a Huffman made tank bike in the period btw '37-'39 and using the early style attachment gill tank..

Last edited:

sam

I live for the CABE
May 24, 2006
San Antonio, United States
Thanks so much for the contributions @cds2323. Agree with you Shawn about the carryover. I believe the af cuts are artist's renditions from a photograph. Looking at the tank it cannot be surmised how it's held in but the small "bumps" of the '40 Zephyr tank carryover may have been lost in the artist's translation.

@sam thanks going to go look at the National catalog... Super interesting bike model with a great color scheme and equipment. But the topic here is trying to establish or disprove that Western Flyer offered a Huffman made tank bike in the period btw '37-'39 and using the early style attachment gill tank..
Talk to the military bike guys---I'm told some Huffman military bikes had tanks and were painted green over their original paint

Reactions: Krakatoa

Krakatoa

Oct 12, 2016
Bellows Falls VT

All bikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 8, 2014
Arvada, United States
I see you've narrowed down your post, I think this is a 41 figured I'd post it anyway....just picked it up an HOUR ago. I went to look at another bike and he had this, it's what I left with.
330c891d3c78d0d494e2cbff15e0ede3.jpg
83a2514399ff3a2630e483a03b377e49.jpg
828a08936da4a9865c655cea56475416.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krakatoa

Oct 12, 2016
Bellows Falls VT
Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!