When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~ Call for Photos & Catalog Scans '37 - '41 Huffman Balloners for Western Flyer! ~~

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Krakatoa

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Okay so this is an interesting but obscure request. I'm looking to gather in one spot pictures of Western Flyer men's ballon tire tank bikes from the period of 1937 to 1941. Some but not many WF badged Huffman made bikes from 1940 and 1941 have been found with the second version "Zephyr" tank and five gill "windowshade tank". Available period scans of catalog ad material from this period show a preponderance of Shelby and CWC products. Those bikes are not what this this thread is aiming to discuss. The primary aim of this thread is to determine if there were also bikes produced during the period of 1937-1939 that used the first version tank and what the paint scheme and equipment was. So what I am hoping is someone has either an original WF badged original paint bike with early version tank '37-39, or someone has a Western Auto catalog '37-'39, that shows a Huffman Built bike of at this point hypothetical type. Here are some of the few pics I currently have found here on the Cabe to illustrate the question.

Here is 1940 model with the second version tank (metal tank bumps hold tank not brackets like the 1st version).

phone 071.jpg

Additionally while not the main focus of this thread, please feel free to post images/ad copy of the windowshade tank bikes as they don't get the attention they deserve.

Here is a 1941 bike with "windowshade" tank @oldfart36 had a while back...

20170517_094453 (1).jpg

20170416_144830.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Right there in the front of the line, interesting equipment, color scheme and no chainguard...o_O

Okay folks lets see some more of the years!

Last edited:
Keep in mind the '40 Zephyr tank looks the same but is different than the '37-9 tanks. Notice the 'bumps' on top to hold the tank. The earlier ones use the straps. V/r Shawn

I see they are like small sheetmetal bumps. The cost cutters must have been psyched when some engineer figured that one out! i'd rather have the straps...

The '40 catalog scan @fordmike posted is not sharp enough for me to tell which tank attaching method is used.

Is that a '40 only tank or did the model continue in '41? Any other differences in the two tanks you know of other than this?

I see they are like small sheetmetal bumps. The cost cutters must have been psyched when some engineer figured that one out! i'd rather have the straps...

The '40 catalog scan @fordmike posted is not sharp enough for me to tell which tank attaching method is used.

Is that a '40 only tank or did the model continue in '41? Any other differences in the two tanks you know of other than this?

'40 only for the bump Zephyr. The other tanks Huffman used in '40-'41 were the 'window shade' '40-'41, big lit tank '40, big tank unlit '40-'41. V/r Shawn

Thanks so much Shawn awesome info!

Okay so we are looking for '37, '38, or '39 Western Auto catalog ad scans showing any WF badged Huffman tank bikes or photos of original paint bikes!

Last edited:
Back