When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~ Call for Photos & Catalog Scans '37 - '41 Huffman Balloners for Western Flyer! ~~

-
Here's a 1941 Western Auto catalog page. Shows a long tank that doesn't appear to be a 5-gill window shade version.
IMG_20180120_183331.jpg

I have this complete page and more in an album of pre war Western Auto catalogs. Including 37-39, but don't see the long tank Huffmans in those.https://thecabe.com/forum/media/albums/prewar-western-auto-catalog-pages.1558/

Here's a 1941 Western Auto catalog page. Shows a long tank that doesn't appear to be a 5-gill window shade version.View attachment 740672

I have this complete page and more in an album of pre war Western Auto catalogs. Including 37-39, but don't see the long tank Huffmans in those.https://thecabe.com/forum/media/albums/prewar-western-auto-catalog-pages.1558/
Looks like some of the '40 tanks may have been carried into '41 for non-Huffman brands. The thing I always wonder about these illustrations is if they were taken from a actual photo or artists renditions? V/r Shawn

Thanks so much for the contributions @cds2323. Agree with you Shawn about the carryover. I believe the af cuts are artist's renditions from a photograph. Looking at the tank it cannot be surmised how it's held in but the small "bumps" of the '40 Zephyr tank carryover may have been lost in the artist's translation.

@sam thanks going to go look at the National catalog... Super interesting bike model with a great color scheme and equipment. But the topic here is trying to establish or disprove that Western Flyer offered a Huffman made tank bike in the period btw '37-'39 and using the early style attachment gill tank..

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the contributions @cds2323. Agree with you Shawn about the carryover. I believe the af cuts are artist's renditions from a photograph. Looking at the tank it cannot be surmised how it's held in but the small "bumps" of the '40 Zephyr tank carryover may have been lost in the artist's translation.

@sam thanks going to go look at the National catalog... Super interesting bike model with a great color scheme and equipment. But the topic here is trying to establish or disprove that Western Flyer offered a Huffman made tank bike in the period btw '37-'39 and using the early style attachment gill tank..
Talk to the military bike guys---I'm told some Huffman military bikes had tanks and were painted green over their original paint

Back