When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling All Aluminum Silver King Collectors

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
hi Marc;
sorry... I should have been more clear. the good news is that it's not my bike. it's a frame for sale on ebay. mine is close to being ready for the first ride. I'll post some pix @ that time.
cheers
jerry

Oh thank god - yes I just saw it on ebay. It looks like somebody removed the badge and whacked it with a hammer. I wonder how exactly that damage occurred.

I have seen 3

now 4
26 x with the heatube blown out- looks like a shotgun shell went off inside- must be a stress issue in the design

There are a couple of circular holes (different size diameters) behind the badge, from the casting I assume, so that pic looks worse than it is....but they did make the frame more susceptible as the cracks originate from these factory holes.
My 26x had a similar problem to a lesser degree caused by the worst springer fork ever designed, the '39 pencil springer from impact(s).
After removing the badge and righting with a rubber mallet, my welder fixed it up nicely...yes there are some small air pockets remaining, but you have to be up close to notice them and I have never seen a SK without scars anyway.
Chris
DSCF1877.jpg
DSCF1879.jpg
DSCF2209.jpg
DSCF2210.jpg

Last edited:
Flo out, 26X in

Sold the Flocycle - being repatriated to Venice Beach.

So bought this as compensation...

26x_zps6c0d5eb2-1.jpg

...first stop when it arrives - my friend's aluminium welder.

I took the flocycle stem in there before packing it and he welded it on the spot.

He's just bought a new aluminium rolling machine and made all the bodywork on the car below

IMG_7801_zpse6cbc013-1.jpg

Will update pics when welded

Maybe there's a way of strengthening the inner head casting wall...depending on how much space there is around the fork tube on a 26x? It would be interesting to find out if silver king tested these stress points before the final production castings. perhaps if the head tube casting on the 26x was 1/16" thicker - it wouldn't have this problem. also, it was a good idea to put a spring front end to absorb road shock - but the weight of the springer puts more stress on the thin wall aluminum head casting.

Last edited:
Maybe there's a way of strengthening the inner head casting wall...depending on how much space there is around the fork tube on a 26x? It would be interesting to find out if silver king tested these stress points before the final production castings. perhaps if the head tube casting on the 26x was 1/16" thicker - it wouldn't have this problem. also, it was a good idea to put a spring front end to absorb road shock - but the weight of the springer puts more stress on the thin wall aluminum head casting.

.....argh more killer photos :)

I think that just making the repair - rewelding - will be so much stronger that it will do the trick. You could bore out the top or bottom of the head tube and fit a steel tube inside I suppose but I think if going at it with a welder anyway then just lay it on thick and on the inside if possible and sand it back to shape and it will be strong again. I have a feeling they were strong enough when made but it's just a long term failure of the metal composition that's caused this weakness.

These are my friend's Silver Kings; he bought them at Copake

DSC_6359_zps78480cca-1.jpg

DSC_6358_zpscc171b03-1.jpg

Boys M1s don't get much better than that! - nice Flocycle too :) If he polishes them it will take a good ten years to get the patina back so it's worth a though before just launching into it if you 'eat patina for breakfast' - as some people do :)

Your friend did well :)

Nice flo and m1 !!! For me - "lite hand polishing" is fine - don't use a buffer - i would leave the deep scratches and metal stains as is.

Back