When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling all Schwinn experts, please help me date this P.O.S.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
if the motor was mounted on that plate, wouldn't it be turning the wrong way to propel the wheel sheave? never mind...I see the mount holes now!

That is so great. Ingenuity at work. The pedal activated scrub brake mechanism is killer.
I love that you'll try and get it running.

Have you been able to determine make and year of the engine?

Enjoy.
I've been told its a Maytag engine from the 30's, but I don't know who the manufacturer is or how to determine the year. Didn't even realize it was a brake mechanism when I bought it! figured that out after I got it home and was looking it over. Don't think it'll have a lot of stopping power, but then again I don't think it'll be all that fast anyway.

I have a nice, clean prewar Schwinn girl frame you could have real cheap as a doner for the seatstays, chainstays, even the seatpost/BB. Looks like a worthy project ! Let me know . .

Just took a second look; you're gonna want to swap out that seat post, for sure !
(the geometry for the rear end on the boys/girls bikes is identical, BTW)
Thanks, but cutting up two frames to make one is beyond my current skill level. I'm going to eventually get around to seeing if this old beast will run again. As much as I'd like to turn it back to a bike, I'm seeing potential with working with what's there. Plus, I think I can clean up the original paint, to some degree anyway. If I repaired everything on the frame I'd have to repaint it, and I always prefer original paint.

Here's an update on this bike. I saw it last night and WOW what a difference!
The guy I traded it to is a local bike collector and friend, and he happened to bring it to Bicycle Night (see my post in the swap meets, events, and rides forum for info)
He was able to straighten the seat stays, and ended up using the partial ladies frame I gave him (it was just the rear half) and replaced the chain stays.
This bike was missing the welded on seat clamp and had the post welded into the frame. He repaired that as well using that partial ladies frame.
Some other parts had to be replaced, some had to be added. This is the end result.
I was pretty impressed.

20180918_190113.jpg

20180918_190119.jpg

Its good to see it is back on the road but I would have loved to see it back as a motor bike.

Its good to see it is back on the road but I would have loved to see it back as a motor bike.

I agree, I was kind of hoping he'd go the motor bike route. But I'm also glad he was able to do something with it, rather than just taking up space in my garage. I had big plans when I got it, and was torn between converting it back to a bicycle or getting it running as a motor bike, but realized I'd probably never do anything with it. He's retired so he has the time to mess with stuff like this. I almost didn't recognize it. I was looking at it thinking "that's a cool prewar Schwinn" and then I got to looking a little closer and realized what it was.

Back