When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camelback bike Id Harley ?

-

Billythekid

I live for the CABE
I just received this bicycle and ofcorse it’s missing the badge. I seem to remember Harley Davidson bike had 3 plate fork crowns any chance I got a Harley? I don’t see a serial number but I haven’t scrubbed it down yet either.
many info is appreciated thanks

7ADE29A7-DF69-4C33-9110-7A82F66D71E9.jpeg

4E6E9BBA-59EA-4D40-9A61-9DD6B8CC5AB2.jpeg

1CCFC10B-47F8-48C1-A77A-CAFED32CE20B.jpeg

A6E0D094-0B6F-407B-9064-229824CD6875.jpeg

B760A6ED-C701-4D8F-A7CB-B3B5DD3F4FD9.jpeg

Has lug-frame features (like an early Colson); and a 22-tooth chain ring front sprocket like a ladies or youth’s Westfield-built Shapleigh.

The laminated-plates of the fork crown looks to have flat parallel plates.

Colson lug-frames usually have casting part numbers, rather than stamped serials.

One thing that Colson and Westfield did have in common, was undersized crank bearing parts; (not sure if exactly the same though).

Last edited:
@Archie Sturmer so it’s a colson that had its crank replaced with a Westfield because they are the same size . Nice I’ll check for standings on the lugs when I get home . I wonder if it’s a youth bike it is smaller but I just assumed It is because the chainless Bikes I just picked up are so large but it’s possible it’s a youth bike which is interesting I have a smaller 20 inch Colson youth bike also I will pull it out and comparison features thanks so much

A couple of other posts with drop-bar lug-frame bikes.

[post #48]

[post #19, picture heavy, 2nd frame]

Last edited:
So it looks a lot like the frame in the second link I also went to look for numbers cast into the lugs like my other colson 20” but it didn’t have any. I measured the wheels and they only measure 23” across not 25” so it’s a youth bike what size tires am I looking for?26” single tube? Also the bike was originally baby blue with a white steering tube and pointed darts

Some excerpts from a 1930 Colson X-mas brochure.

The model B-428 appears to have 28" wheels.

Not sure what "small size" wheels that the "Junior" model B-220 might have had (20"?).
And the brochure likely did not picture all of the models in the full catalog.

A member Scott might have some Colson badges with the horizontal mounting holes.

Last edited:
Jesse has a Ardmore camel back with matching front fork I’m kinda leaning tword that right now not sure if it’s colson cause the lugs don’t have the raised numbers like my 20” colson has ?

I believe that the “Ardmore” was a model of the Charles William_ stores in New York. Davis was a supplier to CW stores at one time. (Perhaps A&S also). https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/charles-william-stores.32765/

The fork crown with laminated plates does not match any Colson bicycles that I have seen, but does resemble some replacement forks that may have been available.

We saw a fairly bent fork in one of the Colson pictures in posts linked above, which also show two different size bottom bracket crank hangers, with different style casting marks, for two different sizes of lug frames shown.

Yes, 23” rims would suggest 26” tires

Last edited:
Back