When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Campagnolo Gran Turismo rear Derailleur.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

John Gialanella

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just bought a 1978 Schwinn Superior that was a display model, it is in mint condition. It has the sun tour rear derailleur. I bought a Campy Gran Turismo rear derailleur that is in almost new condition. I have seen it mounted on a Schwinn Paramount using the top spring bolt, but have seen many being sold with this black hook attached. Can it be mounted to bike either way, or does it depend on which bike you have.
Thanks John.

The Sun Tour is a better derailleur if you want to ride the bike. I took the Campy long cage off my Paramount for a Shimano Crane Long cage. Roger

Thanks for that information, but can the Gran Turismo be mounted on my Superior without that black hook (which I do not have) I had a suspicion that the sun tour rear derailleur was a little better then the Gran Turismo. But the Japanese derailleurs are so ugly looking. I like when the bike rides well, but also looks very nice. I will admit the Dura Ace's do make nice looking and quality parts
John.

-----

yes, it can be mounted directly without modification by removing the black mounting plate

one problem with this mech i have noticed it that every used one which comes through the workshop has the anchor washer for the upper spring stripped out

the end of the upper spring anchors in a hole in a thin sheet washer which has a tooth to hold it in place

the spring is so strong that it easily strips the tooth on the washer rendering the spring nonfunctional

Campag never offered spare parts for this mech

this gear mech enjoys a poor reputation with both cyclists and cycle mechanics

here is how it appears in the Campag catalogue -

(Campag never offered a parts drawing for it)

-----

Thank you for that complete discription of the Part and it's downside. I had to buy a used one besides the near mint one because it had this different bolt for the upper spring bolt that screws into threaded hole on drop offs. The extra bolt seems to have everything. The short C on red background on the head of the bolt two black washers on each end in good shape, the inner strong spring and this chromed plate with a point on one end and small section bent inward on the other end and then a hexagon nut at the end. Are you saying the spring can damage the black washer, because they are in nice shape.
Thanks John.

Back