When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Campagnolo "Record" front deralleur, A short dissertation of

-

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I am providing what I have learned over the years about the Campagnolo "Record" ('50s-'80s) front derailleur from first-hand experience, anecdotal evidence, and information gleaned from various sources (e.g. Campagnolo catalogs, supplements, etc.). I am primarily trying to sort out the earlier versions of this component since there were many changes during its first 10 to 15 years of manufacture (changed averaging once every 2 years).
I do not necessarily consider this to be the definitive end all discussion regarding this component, but I hope it removes some confusion.
I would certainly appreciate any comments and insight regarding what I will relate; especially any first-hand knowledge regarding what version of this component was mounted as original equipment for a bike of a known year of manufacture. I either have, or have had physical examples of most of the versions of this component; but there are still many gaps to be filled in regarding time frames when certain versions were first being used and when manufacturing ended.
Unfortunately, one can not account for manufacturing anomolies, early release of parts to builders and distributors, printing and copyright dates of publications, use of surplus stock, etc.

Campagnolo introduces the "Record" front derailleur; circa 1956

1st Generation
The 1st generation used 2 slot headed screws to retain the control arms (main body pivot bosses are internally threaded). Control arms are chrome plated bronze. This unit is not found in any catalog; introduced after catalog #13 (c.1955), and before catalog #14 (c.1959) which shows the 2nd gen. unit. It incorporates an integral cable housing stop (here on out referred to as: stop) in the main body without any slot ("closed"). I still have an example of this unit which was removed from a 1959 Atala (verified by serial # date code on bike frame).

2nd Generation
The 2nd gen. unit (pictured in catalog #14 c.1959) is the same as the 1st gen. except it used 2 "plugs"(pins) in place of the retainer screws (main body pivot bosses are smooth bore internally). Control arms are chrome plated bronze. It still has the "closed" stop. I have never seen an example of this unit. I assume it was only made for 1 or 2 years at most.

Commonalities:
1st and 2nd gen. units have bronze arms and "closed" stops.

3rd Generation
The 3rd gen. is the same as 1st and 2nd gen. units, except it has no control arm retaining hardware. The cage spring extension sits in a small groove (it is not circumferential) in the lower pivot boss. There is nothing holding the upper arm from sliding off the upper boss except the mechanical linkages connecting the cage/control arm assembly (main body pivot bosses are solid). Control arms are chrome plated bronze. It has a "closed" stop. I have no clue as to when this version was introduced, but I assume it is between 1960 and before the printing of catalog #15 (c.1967). (There is a photo of this version on Velobase and it refers to it as a 2nd gen. unit. which is incorrect. See 2nd gen. description)

Commonalities:
1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen. units all have chrome plated bronze arms and "closed" stops.

4th Generation
The 4th gen. unit differed from the 3rd gen. unit by having the stop slotted. Catalog #'s 15 (c.1967) & 16 (c.1969) clearly show the slotted stop and solid pivot bosses; the lower boss now having a circumferential groove for the spring extension to sit in. Control arms are chrome plated bronze. There is still no circlip used to retain the upper arm (the circlip retainer first appears in catalog #17 (c.1973)).
The unit pictured in catalog #15 could be a 4th gen. (bronze arms w/slotted stop) or 6th gen. (aluminum arms w/slotted stop). No way to determine what the arms are made of. The version shown in catalog #16 could also be a 4th gen. (bronze arms w/slotted stop), or a 6th gen. (aluminum arms w/slotted stop) unit, but I would assume that the unit shown for catalog #16 is most probably 6th gen. with aluminum arms and slotted stop.(Velobase has 1 photo of what might be this version, but all it shows is the slotted stop and a probable chromed arm, and no other view. It refers to it as a 2nd gen. variant which is incorrect. It is probably a 4th gen. unit if the arms are indeed bronze)

Commonalities:
1st through 4th gen. units all have chrome plated bronze arms and stops ("closed" or slotted).
3rd and 4th gen. units have no arm retainer hardware.

5th Generation
I have another version of a unit that has chrome plated bronze arms, but it has no stop (the unit is original, and was not "custom" modified). It has the same circumferential groove on the lower pivot boss to retain the spring extension as shown in catalog #'s 15 & 16. It is original equipment taken off of a mid '60s ('64-'66) Swiss Allegro bike (Reynolds 531 frame, Nervex Pro lugs, Campagnolo Record rear mech). I am categorizing it as a 5th gen. in that it still has bronze arms (though no stop), unlike the 6th gen. unit with aluminum arms and slotted stop.

Commonalities:
1st through 5th gen. units all have chrome plated bronze arms.
3rd, 4th, and 5th gen. units have no arm retainer hardware.

Note: Unfortunately, and without anecdotal evidence, there is no way to determine exactly when the "Record" front derailleur first utilized aluminum control arms since the part numbers (#778 & #782) for those arms remained identical throughout catalog #'s 14, 15, 16, 17, 17a, and 18. The same arms continued to be used on the c.1977 revised 9th gen. version with different part numbers (7117009, 7117011) in catalog # 17a Sup., and on the 10th and 11th gen. units in the '82 "Olympics" catalog which listed both the old and the new part numbers. Essentially from the first design in the mid '50s to their last use in the mid '80s these arms never changed except from bronze to aluminum, and then to being anodized black for the 11th gen. "Super Record" version.
It stands to reason that the arms were aluminum when the Nuovo Record rear derailleur was introduced c.1966 (catalog #15 c.1967), but I have no evidence to prove it. I have had very late '60s to very early '70s versions where the control arms were aluminum (with slotted stops, and no stop). I cannot be sure when the first use of aluminum arms came into being except to say they were in use at least by 1968.

6th Generation
The 6th gen. unit is the first to use aluminum control arms. It has a slotted stop. Again, it is possible that it was the unit shown in either or both catalog #'s 15 & 16 where the slotted stop was still being pictured.

Commonalities:
3rd through 6th gen. units have no arm retainer hardware.
4th and 6th gen. units have slotted stops.

7th Generation
The 7th gen. unit has aluminum arms, no stop, and no circlip (pre-'73). This unit definitely existed prior to catalog #17 (c.1973). I have multiple examples of this unit; one mounted as OE on a 1972 Raleigh Pro.

Commonalities:
3rd through 7th gen. units no arm retainer hardware.
5th and 7th gen. units have no stops.
6th and 7th gen. units have aluminum arms.

8th Generation
The catalog #17 (c.1973; English edition was copyright 1974) unit with circlip retainer added would make that the 8th gen. unit. It is the first catalog depiction of the main body without a cable stop.

Note: Even though the slotted stop body style was last shown in catalog #16 (c.1969), it must have still been available as an option in the early '70s; possibly due to surplus old stock from Campagnolo and/or bike manufacturers. Anecdotal evidence supports this from owners still having the slotted cable housing stop design being used as original equipment on bikes built in the early '70s. That does not mean that Campagnolo was still manufacturing them during that time since the version without a stop was already being used years before the 1973 "circlip" version shown without a stop.

Commonalities:
5th, 7th, and 8th gen. units have no stops.
6th, 7th, and 8th gen. units have aluminum arms.

9th Generation
The 9th gen. "Record" model was seriously modified (except for those control arms!) with a different cage having 4 holes and slightly different inner cage plate size, narrow clamp band, and a significantly dimished body. The cage also had the lip in the front of the outer plate. *I have weighed this version and it is their lightest at approx. 88g.
(*The 9th gen. unit I have left as an example has an aluminum bolt and nut for the clamp; I assume they are not original since I do not remember ever having them on any other unit.)

Commonalities:
5th, 7th, 8th, and 9th gen. units have no stops.
6th through 9th gen. units have aluminum arms.
8th and 9th gen. units have circlip retaining upper arm.

(?? Generation 9.5 ??)
I have an odd variant that may be a very late version of the 9th gen. unit before being replaced by the 10th gen. 3 hole cage unit. My example has the 4 hole cage, but it does not have the narrow clamp band and small body of a 9th gen. unit. It uses the newer body/clamp band assy found on the 10th gen. 3 hole cage unit. Multiple possibilities exist as to why this unit is different: 1) it could have been repaired using the newer body/clamp assy due to the original assy suffering from the cracking issue; 2) it may have been mistakenly or intentionally assembled that way at the factory due to surplus old stock; 3) it may actually be an "in between" version when the newer body/clamp assy was replacing the initial design. I received it as a loose part and I have no knowledge as to its history. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has a unit of this type.

Commonalities: (Not official if unit was modified !!)
5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 9.5 gen. units have no stops.
6th through 9.5 gen. units have aluminum arms.
8th, 9th, and 9.5 gen. units have circlip retaining upper arm.
9th and 9.5 gen. units have 4 hole outer cage plates.
9.5, 10th, and 11th gen. units have new revised body/clamp band assy's.

10th Generation
The 10th gen. "Record" unit with 3 cage holes in the '82 catalog which replaced the 4 hole version was modified due to cracking of the main body/clamp band. The 10th gen. body size was "beefier" than the 9th gen. version, but still not nearly as large as the 8th gen. and earlier versions. The clamp band changed to a smooth background around the "CAMPAGNOLO" script (previously "grainy" background), and looked similar to the early style clamp band with "points", but was somewhat diminutive in size comparatively.
The 4 hole cage supposedly had issues with the chain hanging up during shifting, thus the change to 3 holes. I never had that issue, and with newer chains having less pin protusion I would think that the problem would be gone. It might be due to the manner in which it was set up on the bike. Its odd that many other manufacturers (e.g. Huret, Shimano, Sun Tour, Simplex, et al.) had many derailleurs with loads of holes, slots, etc. in their cages years before Campy decided to "copy" them, but I have never had or heard about issues with their designs.

Commonalities:
5th, 7th, and 8th, 9th, and 10 gen. units have no stops.
6th through 10th gen. units have aluminum arms.
8th, 9th, and 10th gen. units have circlip retaining upper arm.
10th, and 11th gen. units have new revised body/clamp band assys.

Note: The 3 hole cage (c.1981) and 4 hole cage (c.1977) versions were never designated as "Super Record" or "Nuovo Record"; only as "Record". The "Gran Sport" version (no cage holes) is regularly incorrectly called "Nuovo Record" or "Record" by sellers, and the 3 and 4 hole versions are regularly called "Nuovo Record" and "Super Record" by sellers.

11th Generation
The 11th gen. "Super Record" version (c.1981) is identical to the 3 hole cage 10th gen. "Record" version except for the black anodized control arms. I would tend to categorize it as an 10th gen. variant, as opposed to an 11th gen. unit since there were no physical changes, only aesthetic.
It does NOT have any titanium parts.

Commonalities:
5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th gen. units have no stops.
6th through 11th gen. units have aluminum arms.
8th through 11th gen. units have circlip retaining upper arm.
10th and 11th gen. units have 3 hole outer cage plates

Note: I need to verify this, but I believe the limit adjust screws and springs on the '78 and later "Record", and "Super Record" units were chromed.

I believe, but need to verify, that the size of the cage's inner plate changed (smaller/larger?) slightly when the lip was added to the outer plate. I am not sure if this had anything to do with the change in the crankset design or just for performance in shifting. There was some geometry spacing change due to the lip being added and potentially chafing the crank, so the groupset's BB spindle length got modified, as well as crank profile during the late '70s.

Also, note that all the different versions of this unit were always listed as "Record" regardless of their use in the "Record" ('50s-'60s), "Gran Sport" ('70s: as an alternate component), "Nuovo Record" ('70s-'80s), or "Super Record" ('70s) groupsets. The first "Super Record" designated unit appeared in the '82 catalog. The 4 hole cage unit was never designated as "Super Record".

I hope that I have sufficiently covered this component through its first 30 years or so. I am certain that I have missed and overlooked many things. Any mistakes made are my I own regardless if they were sourced from outside, or of my own first-hand experience.

I would hope that this can provide some guidance, but again, please provide whatever corrections/revisions/additions/photos, etc. that need to be made.

I will try to follow up with some photos if possible. I know there are examples of most of the versions on Velobase; but as I have found the listings are not always accurate as to dating and identification of a specific generation, nor are the photos always ample enough to show specific details.

Please excuse any typing and grammatical errors. My eyes, hands, and mind are not what they once were!

Last edited:
I am providing what I have learned over the years about the Campagnolo "Record" ('50s-'80s) front derailleur from first-hand experience, anecdotal evidence, and information gleaned from various sources (e.g. Campagnolo catalogs, supplements, etc.). I am primarily trying to sort out the earlier versions of this component since there were many changes during its first 10 to 15 years of manufacture (changed averaging once every 2 years).
I do not necessarily consider this to be the definitive end all discussion regarding this component, but I hope it removes some confusion.
I would certainly appreciate any comments and insight regarding what I will relate; especially any first-hand knowledge regarding what version of this component was mounted as original equipment for a bike of a known year of manufacture. I either have, or have had physical examples of most of the versions of this component; but there are still many gaps to be filled in regarding time frames when certain versions were first being used and when manufacturing ended.
Unfortunately, one can not account for manufacturing anomolies, early release of parts to builders and distributors, printing and copyright dates of publications, use of surplus stock, etc.

Campagnolo introduces the "Record" front deraileur; circa 1956

1st Generation
The 1st generation used 2 slot headed screws to retain the control arms (main body pivot bosses are internally threaded). Control arms are chrome plated bronze. This unit is not found in any catalog; introduced after catalog #13 (c.1955), and before catalog #14 (c.1959) which shows the 2nd gen. unit. It incorporates an integral cable housing stop (here on out referred to as: stop) in the main body without any slot ("closed"). I still have an example of this unit which was removed from a 1959 Atala (verified by serial # date code on bike frame).

2nd Generation
The 2nd gen. unit (pictured in catalog #14 c.1959) is the same as the 1st gen. except it used 2 "plugs"(pins) in place of the retainer screws (main body pivot bosses are smooth bore internally). Control arms are chrome plated bronze. It still has the "closed" stop. I have never seen an example of this unit. I assume it was only made for 1 or 2 years at most.

Commonalities:
1st and 2nd gen. units have bronze arms and "closed" stops.

3rd Generation
The 3rd gen. is the same as 1st and 2nd gen. units, except it has no control arm retaining hardware. The cage spring extension sits in a small groove (it is not circumferential) in the lower pivot boss. There is nothing holding the upper arm from sliding off the upper boss except the mechanical linkages connecting the cage/control arm assembly (main body pivot bosses are solid). Control arms are chrome plated bronze. It has a "closed" stop. I have no clue as to when this version was introduced, but I assume it is between 1960 and before the printing of catalog #15 (c.1967). (There is a photo of this version on Velobase and it refers to it as a 2nd gen. unit. which is incorrect. See 2nd gen. description)

Commonalities:
1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen. units all have chrome plated bronze arms and "closed" stops.

4th Generation
The 4th gen. unit differed from the 3rd gen. unit by having the stop slotted. Catalog #'s 15 (c.1967) & 16 (c.1969) clearly show the slotted stop and solid pivot bosses; the lower boss now having a circumferential groove for the spring extension to sit in. Control arms are chrome plated bronze. There is still no circlip used to retain the upper arm (the circlip retainer first appears in catalog #17 (c.1973)).
The unit pictured in catalog #15 could be a 4th gen. (bronze arms w/slotted stop) or 6th gen. (aluminum arms w/slotted stop). No way to determine what the arms are made of. The version shown in catalog #16 could also be a 4th gen. (bronze arms w/slotted stop), or a 6th gen. (aluminum arms w/slotted stop) unit, but I would assume that the unit shown for catalog #16 is most probably 6th gen. with aluminum arms and slotted stop.(Velobase has 1 photo of what might be this version, but all it shows is the slotted stop and a probable chromed arm, and no other view. It refers to it as a 2nd gen. variant which is incorrect. It is probably a 4th gen. unit if the arms are indeed bronze)

Commonalities:
1st through 4th gen. units all have chrome plated bronze arms and stops ("closed" or slotted).
3rd and 4th gen. units have no arm retainer hardware.

5th Generation
I have another version of a unit that has chrome plated bronze arms, but it has no stop (the unit is original, and was not "custom" modified). It has the same circumferential groove on the lower pivot boss to retain the spring extension as shown in catalog #'s 15 & 16. It is original equipment taken off of a mid '60s ('64-'66) Swiss Allegro bike (Reynolds 531 frame, Nervex Pro lugs, Campagnolo Record rear mech). I am categorizing it as a 5th gen. in that it still has bronze arms (though no stop), unlike the 6th gen. unit with aluminum arms and slotted stop.

Commonalities:
1st through 5th gen. units all have chrome plated bronze arms.
3rd, 4th, and 5th gen. units have no arm retainer hardware.

Note: Unfortunately, and without anecdotal evidence, there is no way to determine exactly when the "Record" front derailleur first utilized aluminum control arms since the part numbers (#778 & #782) for those arms remained identical throughout catalog #'s 14, 15, 16, 17, 17a, and 18. The same arms continued to be used on the c.1977 revised 9th gen. version with different part numbers (7117009, 7117011) in catalog # 17a Sup., and on the 10th and 11th gen. units in the '82 "Olympics" catalog which listed both the old and the new part numbers. Essentially from the first design in the mid '50s to their last use in the mid '80s these arms never changed except from bronze to aluminum, and then to being anodized black for the 11th gen. "Super Record" version.
It stands to reason that the arms were aluminum when the Nuovo Record rear derailleur was introduced c.1966 (catalog #15 c.1967), but I have no evidence to prove it. I have had very late '60s to very early '70s versions where the control arms were aluminum (with slotted stops, and no stop). I cannot be sure when the first use of aluminum arms came into being except to say they were in use at least by 1968.

6th Generation
The 6th gen. unit is the first to use aluminum control arms. It has a slotted stop. Again, it is possible that it was the unit shown in either or both catalog #'s 15 & 16 where the slotted stop was still being pictured.

Commonalities:
3rd through 6th gen. units have no arm retainer hardware.
4th and 6th gen. units have slotted stops.

7th Generation
The 7th gen. unit has aluminum arms, no stop, and no circlip (pre-'73). This unit definitely existed prior to catalog #17 (c.1973). I have multiple examples of this unit; one mounted as OE on a 1972 Raleigh Pro.

Commonalities:
3rd through 7th gen. units no arm retainer hardware.
5th and 7th gen. units have no stops.
6th and 7th gen. units have aluminum arms.

8th Generation
The catalog #17 (c.1973; English edition was copyright 1974) unit with circlip retainer added would make that the 8th gen. unit. It is the first catalog depiction of the main body without a cable stop.

Note: Even though the slotted stop body style was last shown in catalog #16 (c.1969), it must have still been available as an option in the early '70s; possibly due to surplus old stock from Campagnolo and/or bike manufacturers. Anecdotal evidence supports this from owners still having the slotted cable housing stop design being used as original equipment on bikes built in the early '70s. That does not mean that Campagnolo was still manufacturing them during that time since the version without a stop was already being used years before the 1973 "circlip" version shown without a stop.

Commonalities:
5th, 7th, and 8th gen. units have no stops.
6th, 7th, and 8th gen. units have aluminum arms.

9th Generation
The 9th gen. "Record" model was seriously modified (except for those control arms!) with a different cage having 4 holes and slightly different inner cage plate size, narrow clamp band, and a significantly dimished body. The cage also had the lip in the front of the outer plate. *I have weighed this version and it is their lightest at approx. 88g.
(*The 9th gen. unit I have left as an example has an aluminum bolt and nut for the clamp; I assume they are not original since I do not remember ever having them on any other unit.)

Commonalities:
5th, 7th, 8th, and 9th gen. units have no stops.
6th through 9th gen. units have aluminum arms.
8th and 9th gen. units have circlip retaining upper arm.

(?? Generation 9.5 ??)
I have an odd variant that may be a very late version of this before being replaced by the 10th gen. 3 hole cage unit. My example has the 4 hole cage, but it does not have the narrow clamp band and small body of a 9th gen. unit. It uses the newer body/clamp band assy found on the 10th gen. 3 hole cage unit. Multiple possibilities exist as to why this unit is different: 1) it could have been repaired using the newer body/clamp assy due to the original assy suffering from the cracking issue; 2) it may have been mistakening or intentionally assembled that way at the factory due to surplus old stock; 3) it may actually be an "in between" version when the body/clamp assy were replacing the initial design. I received it as a loose part and I have no knowledge as to its history. I would be very interested to know if anyone else has a unit of this type.

Commonalities: (Not official if unit was modified !!)
5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 9.5 gen. units have no stops.
6th through 9.5 gen. units have aluminum arms.
8th, 9th, and 9.5 gen. units have circlip retaining upper arm.
9th and 9.5 gen. units have 4 hole outer cage plates.
9.5, 10th, and 11th gen. units have new revised body/clamp band assys.

10th Generation
The 10th gen. "Record" unit with 3 cage holes in the '82 catalog which replaced the 4 hole version was modified due to cracking ot the main body/clamp band. The 10th gen. body size was "beefier" than the 9th gen. version, but still not nearly as large as the 8th gen. and earlier versions. The clamp band changed to a smooth background around the "CAMPAGNOLO" script (previously "grainy" background), and looked similar to the early style clamp band with "points", but was somewhat diminutive in size comparatively.
The 4 hole cage supposedly had issues with the chain hanging up during shifting, thus the change to 3 holes. I never had that issue, and with newer chains having less pin protusion I would think that the problem would be gone. It might be due to the manner in which it was set up on the bike. Its odd that many other manufacturers (e.g. Huret, Shimano, Sun Tour, Simplex, et al.) had many derailleurs with loads of holes, slots, etc. in their cages years before Campy decided to "copy" them, but I have never had or heard about issues with their designs.

Commonalities:
5th, 7th, and 8th, 9th, and 10 gen. units have no stops.
6th through 10th gen. units have aluminum arms.
8th, 9th, and 10th gen. units have circlip retaining upper arm.
10th, and 11th gen. units have new revised body/clamp band assys.

Note: The 3 hole cage (c.1981) and 4 hole cage (c.1977) versions were never designated as "Super Record" or "Nuovo Record"; only as "Record". The "Gran Sport" version (no cage holes) is regularly incorrectly called "Nuovo Record" or "Record" by sellers, and the 3 and 4 hole versions are regularly called "Nuovo Record" and "Super Record" by sellers.

11th Generation
The 11th gen. "Super Record" version (c.1981) is identical to the 3 hole cage 10th gen. "Record" version except for the black anodized control arms. I would tend to categorize it as an 10th gen. variant, as opposed to an 11th gen. unit since there were no physical changes, only aesthetic.
It does NOT have any titanium parts.

Commonalities:
5th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th gen. units have no stops.
6th through 11th gen. units have aluminum arms.
8th through 11th gen. units have circlip retaining upper arm.
10th and 11th gen. units have 3 hole outer cage plates

Note: I need to verify this, but I believe the limit adjust screws and springs on the '78 and later "Record", and "Super Record" units were chromed.

I believe, but need to verify, that the size of the cage's inner plate changed (smaller/larger?) slightly when the lip was added to the outer plate. I am not sure if this had anything to do with the change in the crankset design or just for performance in shifting. There was some geometry spacing change due to the lip being added and potentially chafing the crank, so the groupset's BB spindle length got modified, as well as crank profile during the late '70s.

Also, note that all the different versions of this unit were always listed as "Record" regardless of their use in the "Record" ('50s-'60s), "Gran Sport" ('70s: as an alternate component), "Nuovo Record" ('70s-'80s), or "Super Record" ('70s) groupsets. The first "Super Record" designated unit appeared in the '82 catalog. The 4 hole cage unit was never designated as "Super Record".

I hope that I have sufficiently covered this component through its first 30 years or so. I am certain that I have missed and overlooked many things. Any mistakes made are my I own regardless if they were sourced from outside, or of my own first-hand experience.

I would hope that this can provide some guidance, but again, please provide whatever corrections/revisions/additions/photos, etc. that need to be made.

I will try to follow up with some photos if possible. I know there are examples of most of the versions on Velobase; but as I have found the listings are not always accurate as to dating and identification of a specific generation, nor are the photos always ample enough to show specific details.

Please excuse any typing and grammatical errors. My eyes, hands, and mind are not what they once were!
Great write-up but for those of us unfamiliar with the terminology or components on these sort of hard to visualize without pics. Pics with annotations would be fantastic!

Are the early Gran Sport from the 50’s considered to be Record derailleurs? I apologize for my confusion….

Are the early Gran Sport from the 50’s considered to be Record derailleurs? I apologize for my confusion….
The first "Gran Sport" derailleurs (push-rod matchbox style) were not considered "Record" units. They were their own unique unit which were changed slightly and were then called "Valentino" units.
Great write-up but for those of us unfamiliar with the terminology or components on these sort of hard to visualize without pics. Pics with annotations would be fantastic!
No problem! I am working on finding some of the units I described. I have my 5th gen. unit, but not my 1st gen. which I think is important to show where it all started from. I know I have not mounted the thing, but I cannot locate it. It may be at my northern residence which means a couple months before I get there. It was bad weather over the holidays, and I do not have the time to wait in airports or to be stuck on the roadways. I will start to post some photos here shortly with side-by-side imagery to make it easier to compare the differences. I will post some from Velobase or another source if I do not have a certain unit (2nd, 3rd, 4th gens anyways).

10th, 11th, & 12th generations of "Record" and "Super Record" units; "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" and "Nuovo Valentino" units.

Here are examples of units that were introduced c.1977 and c.1981 after the CPSC required a change of cage design incorporating a "lip" on the leading edge of the outer plate of the cage.

Note: it has been assumed, and stated by many (without documented evidence; please provide evidence if you have it) that the 10th gen. "4 hole" version of the "Record" unit was only available for one year (due to design issues and resultant component failure issues). I personally dispute that since I would find it odd that Campagnolo would release a product both "privately" for professional teams and during testing (presumably at least a year prior to catalog publication); and within a year or less of that same catalog supplement. I think that the 10th gen. "4 hole" unit was in production by at least 1977 (possibly earlier), and was not terminated until at the earliest 1979, and very possibly into 1980. This is not a "rare" component; there are many for sale on a regular basis. I also believe that it was readily available into the early 80s given its appearance in Colnago catalogs in the early 80s (specific catalog year seems to be in dispute), and also (possibly by mistake) being shown in the parts breakdown drawings in the '82 Campy "Olympics" catalog (part #'s 1052/7 & 7180058 on page 10).

I have included the "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" and "Nuovo Valentino" units for comparative purposes since they share most features of the earlier "Record" designs with the exception of the "lipped" cage. I could call the "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" a gen. 9.5 unit if it were not for its name designation. The "Nuovo Valentino" would fall into this gray area as well given that it was identical to the "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" unit, but having substantially different control arms which were "flatter" in appearance and different plating (not chrome). I do not (that I am aware of) have an example of this unit to provide photos of; but I am including a photo of from Velobase for comparison. I do have a version (removed from a mid-late '70s Raleigh "Gran Sport" model) of what I presumed would be called a "Nuovo Valentino" unit with the "flat" arms and "globe" cage logo prior to the "lipped" cage version (never shown in any catalog); but I will provide a photo of it with the earlier 70s "Record" models pre-CPSC changes.

Left to right: "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" no holes in outer plate (c. 1977 to 1986); 10th gen. "Record" with 4 holes in outer plate (c. 1977 to 1980); 11th gen. "Record" with 3 holes in outer plate (c. 1981 to 1986); 12th gen. "Super Record" with 3 holes in outer plate (c. 1981 to 1986). I believe all units were probably available into 1987 (except "Record" 4 hole cage).
Note: the cage logo changed from the "globe" logo to a revised version of the old "wings" logo for all units except on the "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" which retained the "globe" logo until it was last show in catalog #18.

Top to bottom: 12th gen. "Super Record" 3 hole cage; 11th gen. "Record" 3 hole cage; 10th gen. "Record" 4 hole cage; "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport". Clamp bands (bottom to top) went from wide with "points", to narrow and straight; and then wider with "points", but not as wide as the original design on the bottom. The newest design on top 2 examples also lost the "grainy" background surrounding "CAMPAGNOLO".

Top to bottom: same order as above. Note differences in the body where it mates against the frame seat tube. The bottom "Gran Sport" model has the largest area and is essentially the same as previous pre-'77 "Record" units. 2nd from bottom shows the drastic reduction in size (and weight) of the modified 4 hole "Record" unit. Possibly why this design experienced cracks. I do not think that the narrow band had as much effect on as this smaller body design did. You can see that the body area was increased on the top 2 examples ("Record" & "Super Record") which I assume was to provide greater strength. Note: the 4 hole example has an aluminum clamp bolt and nut. I do not know if ir was standard or aftermarket. Just like the control arms using the same part #s; that nut and bolt also have the same part #s making it difficult to say if Campy changed them to aluminum for this particular unit.

Left to right: "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" no holes in outer plate (c. 1977 to 1986); 10th gen. "Record" with 4 holes in outer plate (c. 1977 to 1980); 11th gen. "Record" with 3 holes in outer plate (c. 1981 to 1986); 12th gen. "Super Record" with 3 holes in outer plate (c. 1981 to 1986).
I stand corrected in saying all control arms remained unchanged except for material and outer finish. Notice that the upper control arm on the 10th gen. 4 hole unit is slimmer than all the others. It does not widen as much towards the top of the lower portion of the arm, and also towards the bottom of the upper portion of the arm (the bottom arm remained unchanged). I never heard of any cracking or breakage issues with it, but on the revised 11th gen. 3 hole unit it was again back to its original design as it had been before the 10th gen. 4 hole unit came into existence. All of the "Record"/"Super Record" units have chromed limit adjust screws, and springs; the "Gran Sport" did not receive that treatment.

Nuovo Valentino (c.1977-1986)
Note the modified arms being flatter than those of the "Record" units. I think those arms are the first time the control arms were altered in form.

Photo credit: from Velobase site; eBay Seller shop-vuelta-si

Last edited:
"10.5 generation"??

This is the anomoly that may have been made between the 10th gen. and 11 gen. units. I cannot find any signs that the unit was modified. The pin holding the clamp band in place, and the pin securing the cage to the upper arm are original as factory installed. The possibility exists that a 10th gen. 4 hole cage/arm assy was used to replace a damaged 11th gen. 3 hole cage/arm assy; but then the upper arm should be of the "slimmer" design as shown in the 10th gen. photo. The cage/arm assy itself is an anomoly to both the 10th & 11th gen. designs. Also, the body appearance in the front appears different from the 11th & 12 gen. units; but it is also different in appearance from the 10th gen. unit in the area above the clamp band (see photos below). If this was actually a factory unit, be it intentional or by mistake, I would assume that it was made for a very short time frame and would be quite rare. I would be very interested to see another unit displaying the same features.
The cable clamp hardware is not original due to damaged threads in the arm.

"10.5 gen."

Top to bottom: "10.5 gen." 4 hole unit, 10th gen. 4 hole unit , and 11/12th gen. 3 hole unit

Last edited:
9th, 10th, & 11th generations of "Record" and "Super Record" units; "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" and "Nuovo Valentino" units.

Here are examples of units that were introduced c.1977 and c.1981 after the CPSC required a change of cage design incorporating a "lip" on the leading edge of the outer plate of the cage.

Note: it has been assumed, and stated by many (without documented evidence; please provide evidence if you have it) that the 9th gen. "4 hole" version of the "Record" unit was only available for one year (due to design issues and resultant component failure issues). I personally dispute that since I would find it odd that Campagnolo would release a product both "privately" for professional teams and during testing (presumably at least a year prior to catalog publication); and within a year or less of that same catalog supplement. I think that the "4 hole" unit was in production by at least 1977 (possibly earlier), and was not terminated until at the earliest 1979, and very possibly into 1980. This is not a "rare" component; there are many for sale on a regular basis. I also believe that it was readily available into the early 80s given its appearance in Colnago catalogs in the early 80s (specific catalog year seems to be in dispute), and also (possibly by mistake) being shown in the parts breakdown drawings in the '82 Campy "Olympics" catalog (part #'s 1052/7 & 7180058 on page 10).

I have included the "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" and "Nuovo Valentino" units for comparative purposes since they share most features of the earlier "Record" designs with the exception of the "lipped" cage. I could call the "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" a gen. 8.5 unit if it were not for its name designation. The "Nuovo Valentino" would fall into this gray area as well given that it was identical to the "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" unit, but having substantially different control arms which were "flatter" in appearance and different plating (not chrome). I do not (that I am aware of) have an example of this unit to provide photos of; but I am including a photo of from Velobase for comparison. I do have a version (removed from a mid-late '70s Raleigh "Gran Sport" model) of what I presumed would be called a "Nuovo Valentino" unit with the "flat" arms and "globe" cage logo prior to the "lipped" cage version (never shown in any catalog); but I will provide a photo of it with the earlier 70s "Record" models pre-CPSC changes.

Left to right: "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" no holes in outer plate (c. 1977 to 1986); 9th gen. "Record" with 4 holes in outer plate (c. 1977 to 1980); 10th gen. "Record" with 3 holes in outer plate (c. 1981 to 1986); 11th gen. "Super Record" with 3 holes in outer plate (c. 1981 to 1986). I believe all units were probably available into 1987 (except "Record" 4 hole cage).
Note: the cage logo changed from the "globe" logo to a revised version of the old "wings" logo for all units except on the "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" which retained the "globe" logo until it was last show in catalog #18.

View attachment 1763776

Top to bottom: "Super Record" 3 hole cage; "Record" 3 hole cage; "Record" 4 hole cage; "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport". Clamp bands (bottom to top) went from wide with "points", to narrow and straight; and then wider with "points", but not as wide as the original design on the bottom. The newest design on top 2 examples also lost the "grainy" background surrounding "CAMPAGNOLO".
View attachment 1763777

Top to bottom: same order as above. Note differences in the body where it mates against the frame seat tube. The bottom "Gran Sport" model has the largest area and is essentially the same as previous pre-'77 "Record" units. 2nd from bottom shows the drastic reduction in size (and weight) of the modified 4 hole "Record" unit. Possibly why this design experienced cracks. I do not think that the narrow band had as much effect on as this smaller body design did. You can see that the body area was increased on the top 2 examples ("Record" & "Super Record") which I assume was to provide greater strength. Note: the 4 hole example has an aluminum clamp bolt and nut. I do not know if ir was standard or aftermarket. Just like the control arms using the same part #s; that nut and bolt also have the same part #s making it difficult to say if Campy changed them to aluminum for this particular unit.
View attachment 1763778

Left to right: "Gran Sport/Nuovo Gran Sport" no holes in outer plate (c. 1977 to 1986); "Record" with 4 holes in outer plate (c. 1977 to 1980); "Record" with 3 holes in outer plate (c. 1981 to 1986); "Super Record" with 3 holes in outer plate (c. 1981 to 1986).
I stand corrected in saying all control arms remained unchanged except for material and outer finish. Notice that the upper control arm on the 4 hole unit is slimmer than all the others. It does not widen towards the top on the lower portion of the arm, and widen towards the bottom on the upper portion of the arm (the bottom arm remained unchanged). I never heard of any cracking or breakage issues with it, but on the revised 3 hole unit it was again back to its original design as it had been before the 4 hole unit came into existence. All of the "Record"/"Super Record" units have chromed limit adjust screws, and springs; the "Gran Sport" did not receive that treatment.
View attachment 1763779

Nuovo Valentino (c.1977-1986)
Note the modified arms being flatter than those of the "Record" units. I think those arms are the first time the control arms were altered in form.
View attachment 1764602
Photo credit: from Velobase site; eBay Seller shop-vuelta-si
Love these pictures - gonna check my Grand Prix for same - thank you for sending! and doing all of this leg work for us Cabers. Makes it fun to research what we have stashed away!

!!!Adendum to the outline in the initial post!!!*

Due to my oversight and/or misinterpretation I need to change the designations of the "Record" units starting from the 9th generation and later. The previously designated 9th gen. unit will now be 10th gen.; 10 gen. will be 11th gen.; and 11th gen. will be 12th gen. Sorry for the change, but I am to blame since I saw another unit and thought it to be the same as a prior generation without closely verifying its unique difference.

!!!Adendum to post #6!!!
Also, the "Gran Sport"/Nuovo Gran Sport" cage did get the new "winged" logo cage at some time even though all images in catalog #'s 17a Sup., '82 "Olympics", and 18 still showed it having the "globe" logo. I think it was probably changed either when "old" stock of the initial cages were gone, or c.1981-82 for preparation of the '82 catalog and receiving the designation of "Nuovo Gran Sport". If categorizing "Gran Sport" derailleurs (which I really have not looked into) it would probably be a 3rd or 4th gen. unit given the group's history which was longer than the classic "Record" group, and had a lot less modifications over the years excepting getting the extreme change from "matchbox" style to parallelogram design (as did the Valentino front unit).

*Note: Generation designations in posts #6 & #7 have been updated to reflect this change.

8th gen. unit ('73) is the first to be shown sans cable housing stop; and also employing a circlip to retain the upper control arm. I had noted that there was a version (6th gen.) prior to the 8th gen. that had aluminum arms, and still had the slotted stop, but had no circlip retainer. There is a version I will designate as the 9th gen. that was the same, but gained the circlip as found on an 8th gen. unit.

Last edited:
!!!Addendum to previous posts!!!

As an evolving thread I expect more changes to come, but I at least want to update it as soon as I find other examples and/or develop opinions as to what may be a different generation "Record" unit based on unique features over other previously documented/photographed examples.

After more comparative reseach I have not been able to find another example of the previously categorized 10 gen. 4 hole cage unit with the slimmer upper control arm. I have only seen examples (when adequate photos were available) with what I would call the "standard" upper control arm; nor have I found any documentation where others have discussed the difference.

I had not really looked closely at my example until I did the side-by-side photos with other units at which time it became obvious that it differred from arms used before and after that specific unit was introduced It does not appear to have been user modified in any way, and the patina on both arms match.

I, of course, have no reference as to when this particular version was made. It is possible that it was the very first or a very early 4 hole unit design, it could have been introduced in mid-production, or as a final design before production was ceased. It could very well have been made as a test prototype at any time during the production time frame. I do have at least one prototype Campagnolo component (cartridge BB assy), but it was marked as such, and it did not appear (in my opinion) to have been meant for on the frame testing.
The additional fact that the clamp hardware is aluminum is also a possible clue as to its uniqueness. That hardware is not something you can pick up at your local hardware store. It was obviously manufactured for its intended use, and it is similar in design to Campagnolo's steel clamp hardware. If the bolt and nut were made as aftermarket hardware then it was done with function and quality in mind (by e.g. O.M.A.S.).

At this point I am going to give a new categorization to the "slim" arm 4 hole cage "Record" unit and call it the 11th generation. The 4 hole cage "Record" unit with "standard" upper arm will become the 10th gen., the 3 hole cage "Record" unit will become 12th gen., and the 3 hole cage "Super Record" unit will become the 13th gen.
I will keep the 4 hole cage "anomoly" unit as the 10.5 gen. since it shares the same arm configuration as the 10th gen. unit.

My next post will show both "standard" arm (10th gen.) and "slim" arm (11th gen.) 4 hole cage units for comparison, as well as a detail photo of the steel and alloy clamp hardware.

Due to showing the latest versions first, I will continue to go back in time which should work out for me in finding my earliest examples. I have been adding comments in Velobase coinciding with this thread. Comments and component listings (lots of trouble posting photos) are posted under a very old nickname "Jake" (Jesper, if you can believe it, was taken already).

Sorry for the ongoing confusion. By the end (will there be one?) of this analysis of '50s through '80s "Record" derailleurs I will rewrite the initial outline to include all changes in order to provide a comprehensive post that can be more readily copied, as opposed to having to copy it in a piecemeal fashion.

Last edited:
Back