When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Campagnolo "Record" front deralleur, A short dissertation of

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have been trying to date a collection of Campagnolo tools.
One of the most visible differences is the background treatment behind the Campagnolo logo.
Your synopsis of the the derailleur has helped quite a bit, as I would think the various finish
(flat, crosshatch and dimpled) are the same throughout the product line.
It is visible on the the logo area of the various designs of the seat tube clamp on the front
derailleur as well.

Thanks for your interesting and insightful work.
rusty

_nc_ohc=D048H8qy8DsAX9-R7hV&_nc_ht=scontent-msp1-1.jpg

One of the most visible differences is the background treatment behind the Campagnolo logo.
Your synopsis of the the derailleur has helped quite a bit, as I would think the various finish
It is visible on the the logo area of the various designs of the seat tube clamp on the front
derailleur as well.

rusty

View attachment 1799688

-----

thank you for this post

me guess for the three peanut butter spanners shown would be a production order of B, C, A

others are sure to know mo' beddah 😉

---

if interested in Campag tool history one thing you may wish to explore would be determination of date of discontinuance for tools which were eliminated

two such examples are the headset pin tool Nr. 772 and the saddle alignment tool Nr. 736

Campag tools catalogue page b)  .jpg

tool_rare_51cae27941f7ddbdd6469561889addfe9ad3c8ae.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.jpg

-----

derailleur as well.

rusty
Thanks Rusty,
Always interesting how ideas expand and overlap. I will now have to see if I have any Campy tools that might provide any more insight.
I would, without any research, agree with @juvela as to the order of production of your wrenches. My Campy tools are either old, or fairly new and due to tool type may not shed much light on this subject. I really appreciate your display of the differences for both aesthetic and reference purposes.

Last edited:
Excellent work, thank you for all the information!!
Now I will have to look at a couple of mid 70s Cinelli‘s I’ve restored to make sure I am “period correct“

@cyclingday Thanks for that example on a specific year bike. The unit would be a 3rd gen. with cable housing stop w/o the slot, chromed control arms, return spring retained by a small indent in the lower pivot, and no retainer clip on the upper pivot.

Here is my oldest, it’s on my +- ‘65 Favori eroica bike (part came on unknown frame I bought just for the derrailleur)
Thanks for the photo! You should be within about a year or so of the bike's age with that unit (6th gen.) since I believe it was definitely. I just dug out my model which would be just previous to that unit; possibly the better match to your frame. It has the chromed bronze control arms, grooved pin for return spring retention, and slotted cable housing stop (4th gen.). I've been running around trying to consolidate my parts, but I'm always forgetting something at another location.

1st Generation Record (circa '56-'59?)

Bronze control arms, cable housing stop without slot, control arm retaining screws, no notch/groove for return spring.
I believe this example is '59 or earlier. It was removed from an Atala with a 1959 date code.
This unit is not shown in any catalog. The unit shown in cat. #14 uses "plugs" (unthreaded pins) instead of screws to retain the control arms. I have never seen the cat. #14 "2nd gen." unit so I have no idea if it was ever in production and if the "1st gen." unit was used during the early 60s or if it was replaced with the "3rd gen." unit that had the cable slot introduced.

20240228_220509.jpg

20240228_201135.jpg

20240228_220558.jpg

20240228_220302.jpg

20240228_201025.jpg

20240228_201037.jpg

20240228_220328.jpg

20240228_220328.jpg

20240228_220308.jpg

Back