When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone date / id this Columbia?

-

Allrounderco

I live for the CABE
I'm waiting for a go ahead from the seller (needs to arrange someone to meet me and show bike), but I should be seeing it this afternoon. Asking price is $75

1568735447569.png

1568735487417.png

1568735510778.png

1568735557494.png

1568735582850.png

Yeah, I came to that realization right before I had to leave. I messaged the seller, and she had no idea, but from the look of the crank, I figured it would be. I don't buy bikes that don't fit me, but the seller made arrangements to have someone show during the day, so I kept my appointment. I did end up buying it, along with an early hybrid (which actually fills a need in my lineup) for $100 /pair.

I think I'll use the Columbia as a testbed for all of the renovation tricks I'm learning. I haven't done an OA bath yet, and this looks like a good candidate.

The Cannondale will replace my wife's modern cruiser. She wants something with gears and a more upright riding position. I'll end up putting tubes and tires on it, but she will ride it, so worth the investment on a $50 bike. If she doesn't like it, I'll use it as my winter bike.

Early fifties
Yeah, thanks @manuel rivera - 1951 per @rustjunkie chart.

So ironically the Columbia's tires hold air, and the front tube on the Cannondale has two holes :). I figured I'd hang on to the Columbia until my kids grow into it, but it is so dang tough to pedal, it would probably turn them off to old bikes entirely. Hopefully a full service can improve on that some. But maybe it's just what you get with a small crank and a lot of weight.

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

Last edited:
Back