When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone date this seat?

-

37ccmflyte

Finally riding a big boys bike
It looks to have the remains of the word DUNLOP on the side... came off a bike my father had in the 1950's so I expect he fitted it then but he worked in a bicycle shop so it could be from any era.

The twisted springs might be a giveaway as to model and age?
Thanks!
Gavin

Attachments

• PA240226 seat.jpg
    PA240226 seat.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 79
Purely a guess based on seeing these seats before in new condition, I suspect it is from somewhere around early 1970's to early 1980's.

had a better look and found a "D1" on the fabric of the seat underneath between the spring area... ?

Just killing time googling... and the base of this seat looks VERY much like a Brooks B33 saddle with a rubber Dunlop D1 cover put on it... I would not put it past my father to make one seat out of two!

Interesting link!
The bar between the springs with the hoop in it is the same as mine.
Yep, I think it's made up from elements of the Brooks B33 (springs and most of the lower frame) and Dunlop top and top of frame....
It's a bitza!

I've had two seats like that from different makers, both from Japan. One was Gents, and the other I forgot.

Made in the 70's-80's, and both ended up like yours. I guess the cows in japan aren't as sturdy as the cows in england. 'Cause if it was a brook's seat it'd still be rideable.

Back