When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone give me some information on a 1949 schwinn planes, trains and automobiles racer.

-

RCaraballo63

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Serial # F011017 has a skip tooth sprocket and back rim is also skip tooth. I researched and could only find the badge, and I found a schwinn phantom body. I believe with a planes, trains and automobiles badge.

20200114_032225.jpg

20200114_032017.jpg

Reactions: JLF
Bike is a '49 straightbar. Phantoms had cantilever frames. There is no way of really telling what model this started as because too much is missing. You can do a Google search for Schwinn catalogs (you won't find '49) and look at either the '48 or '50 cats to get an idea of how this frame could have been equipped. Of note this frame is referred to as a 'fat bar' frame due to the fact that the bar under the top bar is the same diameter (1") as the rest of the frame. starting about '50 this bar is a smaller diameter. V/r Shawn

Bike is a '49 straightbar. Phantoms had cantilever frames. There is no way of really telling what model this started as because too much is missing. You can do a Google search for Schwinn catalogs (you won't find '49) and look at either the '48 or '50 cats to get an idea of how this frame could have been equipped. Of note this frame is referred to as a 'fat bar' frame due to the fact that the bar under the top bar is the same diameter (1") as the rest of the frame. starting about '50 this bar is a smaller diameter. V/r Shawn
Thank you very much, one question though. Is it a planes, trains and automobiles straight bar bicycle then?

Neat frame tho...that's what some call a "fat bar" and can be built up to be an uncommon postwar straight bar autocycle "B" model bike.
It's a start anyway

Back