When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone help ID this Stingray frame number? Stingray 1966?

-

CarbonFiber

On Training Wheels
New to site, trying to find out year of this bike.

1966 thread (https://thecabe.com/forum/pages/Schwinn_Serial_Numbers_52-69/) has:
01/27 -------------------- A23567 -------------------- A28010
but it's not in range.

snA.jpg
bright.JPG

Thanks.

The bike has an early January 1966 serial number, and it looks like the there was also an error in the recording or even in the typing up of the list below for its publication. Have you checked the crank date or the fork date?

1685385809493.png

Thanks, I can check again but this was the only number I found. I can see remnants of "sticker" shadowing of Stingray on the chain protector.

Checked again, only number on the bike. Shadowing might be Schwinn towards the back.

What number are you referring to? The serial stamping on the bike is a completed mis-stamping. Mechanical issue with the stamping machine, or a missing stamping die.
The fork on the bike doesn't have the chrome fork crown and Sting Rays did, and they never used that type of stem. The crank should show either a 1966 or 65 casting date.

I agree that it's been messed with...fenders, bars, seat. Wanted to say don't exclude the option of Junior Stingray in 66, but they didn't offer the Junior in Red, AND the spec sheet says the fork had a cap.

1966dlr_Sting_Ray_Jr_Specs.jpeg

Not as popular when it comes to the price for a JR frame and fork set, or a Typhoon either.

Back