When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone help identify this bike? Also, how should I go about gently cleaning it?

-

JoeBass

Look Ma, No Hands!
Flea market find today! No head badge, just an old Reynolds sticker on the seat tube. Gallows seat post and 28" single tube tires. Anyone recognize the maker? Also, I'd like to just gently clean the bike. What's the best way to go about doing that without removing some of the (barely) remaining paint and pin striping? Thanks very much in advance! Joe

BIKE1.jpg

BIKE2.jpg

BIKE3.jpg

BIKE4.jpg

BIKE5.jpg

BIKE6.jpg

BIKE7.jpg

BIKE8.jpg

BIKE9.jpg

Not sure who made it, but the frame looks like it has sustained some impact damage in the past.
Top and down tubes look bent out of shape; this could be a trick of perspective/camera I guess, but look distorted to me.
I don't think those crudely painted pin stripes are in any way original to that frame; no-one would paint over that Reynolds transfer in my opinion.

Last edited:
Not sure who made it, but the frame looks like it has sustained some impact damage in the past.
Top and down tubes look bent out of shape; this could be a trick of perspective/camera I guess, but look distorted to me.
I don't think those crudely painted pin stripes are in any way original to that frame; no-one would paint over that Reynolds transfer in my opinion.
fork looks every so slightly tweaked backwards as well

Nice find. Sorry, can't help you with the make, but someone here will recognize it. Going to be a nice looking rider, as is.

fork looks every so slightly tweaked backwards as well
I agree, that's also noticeable in the close up photo of the headtube/fork crown area; the lower headrace just looks a little misaligned.
Interestingly @JoeBass, that is a pre 1924 'Reynolds' transfer (so that gives you a latest date range for the frame) but the fork crown looks to be wearing a later (chrome plated) cover.
Chrome plating wasn't introduced until 1929(ish).

Nice find. Sorry, can't help you with the make, but someone here will recognize it. Going to be a nice looking rider, as is.
I agree here too. Would still make a nice rider as is.
Just I wouldn't invest any more money in a potentially damaged frame.
Steel is pretty forgiving though after all, so could be ridden if you are OK with it.
WD40 and 'flour grade (0000) wire wool should clean up the remaining paintwork, just avoid the 'Reynolds' transfer and what remains of the headbadge transfer.

Nope, the white paint was behind the decal, and there are some very minor bits of the decal remaining. In "real life" nothing is bent (or appears bent) but it does look like that in the photos (doesn't it look like that in every photo of a bike?) :)

My intention was to just give it a basic "clean-up" and then use it as a rider, but it has those blasted 28" single tube tire rims on there and only the front tire is holding air. Looks like the valve has ripped off the rear tire. Is there any way to get this rideable again without buying a Dean repro tire?

Last edited:
As I said earlier, it could be a trick of perspective or the camera re the frame tubes, but the fork still looks out of line with the head tube to me.
I'm not trying to be negative unnecessarily, just concerned for rider safety. I've seen the damage a snapped fork steerer can do to someone.

Looks tweaked to me too. Throw a straightedge on it and see what you get. I don’t think it’s enough to affect riding under normal circumstances but that fork definitely needs some attention. V/r Shawn

Back