When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone ID this Elgin?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KCWheeler

On Training Wheels
Hi all,

I'm researching this old Elgin (what my brothers and I called "The War Machine" before I found out it was pre-WWII, LOL), and I can't figure out what model it is. Any ideas? Some of the features (tank, front headlight, gear, hub) don't exactly match others I've seen online, so I'm not sure if they're after-market or I just haven't seen all the Elgin pictures there are to see online. The serial number is F12-F54814. All thoughts are welcome!

Thank you!

Elgin - chain side view.jpg
Elgin - side view.jpg
Elgin - front view.jpg
Elgin bracket F12-F54814.JPG
Elgin tank view.jpg
Elgin - wheel closeup.jpg
Elgin - back view.jpg

Westfield built, 41 serial #, probably threw away the best part, dual headlight/schroud to add that cool basket and Snyder? fender light!

Hi, @KCWheeler

As Archie says, the serial is E54814, F12. F12 says the frame was made in December 1939. The bicycle was built up April 1940 or soon after, since I have notes of bikes with lower serial numbers, and April 1940 frame dates.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Might the principal serial number start with an “E” (for 1940)?
Close-up of serial number.jpg

You're right, Archie! I forgot that I used more degreaser after I took that first picture of the serial number. I wanted to clean up the ends a bit. It IS an E under all that grime. This image shows it better. Thanks so much for catching that!

Hi, @KCWheeler

As Archie says, the serial is E54814, F12. F12 says the frame was made in December 1939. The bicycle was built up April 1940 or soon after, since I have notes of bikes with lower serial numbers, and April 1940 frame dates.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks so much, Adrian. My mom will be tickled pink to know it's almost as old as she is. She bought this from her neighbor for $10 in 1970-71 -- with the basket! I appreciate everyone's help and comments. How y'all know this stuff blows my mind. Thank you for being so willing to share your expertise.

Back