When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify this frame?

-

ejlwheels

Wore out three sets of tires already!
The looks like a Colson, but it has a Hiawatha badge
and the bottom rear fender brace is not as far back
from the bottom bracket as a late 30's Colson frame?

thanks
[email protected]

Attachments

• colson3a.jpg
    colson3a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 159
1938 Colson Frame

Your Frame is not Cleveland Welding and the 1936 Roadmaster pictured, from Nostalgic.net, uses a camel back frame without a lower top tube.

Your frame is probably a 1938 Colson Frame.

Colson's standard frame in 1936 and 1937 featured a long wheelbase and was available in straight-bar and double-bar roadster configurations. A hanging tank was available for the straight bar frame while no tank was offered for the double-bar roadster.

In 1938 Colson shortened the wheelbase along with other changes and introduced their snap-tank double bar models.

While, beginning in 1938, the Colson catalog no longer depicts a straight bar model, I have seen several short wheelbase straight bar Colsons that I attribute to 1938. The earlier straight bar tank will fit these frames but I have not seen one with an original tank.

I assume that the straight bar frame continued production at least through early 1938 and perhaps longer, but was probably relegated to being a lesser model or perhaps sold to outside distributors as a price leader. This might explain the badge.

If you post a serial number I can see how it relates to some other 1938 Colsons.

Phil Blau-Marshall

1938 colson

Thanks Phil.

Here is the serial #

while you're at it,
maybe you can date 2 of my other colsons?

Attachments

• 38 serial#.jpg
    38 serial#.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 132
  • colson-imperial.jpg
    colson-imperial.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 108
  • colson-comparison.jpg
    colson-comparison.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 113
  • colson-imperial-2.jpg
    colson-imperial-2.jpg