When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone positively identify this brake lever??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

WillWork4Parts

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I came across this on eBay and had to have it.
I'd like to find more like it or a match to it at least.
Screenshot_20220329-091912.png

Screenshot_20220329-091748.png

Screenshot_20220329-091855.png

Screenshot_20220329-092111.png

Screenshot_20220329-092058.png

Appears to be 50s make, and it's with a Schwinn caliper marked by a BLUE anodized washer that I don't recognize. I've seen red, gold, and black washers.

Screenshot_20220329-092043.png

Screenshot_20220329-091943.png

Screenshot_20220329-092001.png

It's still in the mail, but I hope the eBay screenshots detail enough to identify. Will look for more details when it arrives.

Any idea on maker and model?

Seller says brake assy. was off of a 57 girls Schwinn Traveler. S/N: 7F03316, looks like December of 57.
Screenshot_20220330-121422.png

This is what's left of it.
Screenshot_20220330-121535.png

Must have been an odd year for schwinn production changes. Was Altenburger a supplier option in this era?
@GTs58, @coasterbrakejunkie1969, maybe you guys have seen this in the early years of the aluminum handbrake bikes?

Seller says brake assy. was off of a 57 girls Schwinn Traveler. S/N: 7F03316, looks like December of 57. View attachment 1597903
This is what's left of it.
View attachment 1597904

Must have been an odd year for schwinn production changes. Was Altenburger a supplier option in this era?
@GTs58, @coasterbrakejunkie1969, maybe you guys have seen this in the early years of the aluminum handbrake bikes?
That's one of those squeezie brake things, hahaha. I have never seen anything like that. I have only had a few of the lightweights nothing that early.

Since that frame has a December stamped serial it would have been built in 1958. The Traveler had stainless fenders so I'm guessing that was actually a Racer, and not the Deluxe model. These were budget models so it's possible Schwinn sourced some cheaper components, but I've never seen a German made brake set on a Schwinn. Only person I know of that might be able to ID these is @rennfaron, so hopefully he'll chime in.

I don't think the lever and the caliper are a matched set. I haven't ever seen that style lever and definitely not in the late 50s. The caliper "schwinn approved" stamp on the front is consistent with mid to late 50s but the West Germany stamp on the back is kind of weird because usually it says Switzerland. German production I think turns up later (70s?) but not that early. They did source stuff from all over so maybe had a limited run from West Germany. Who knows... That blue spacer/washer isn't consistent with anything 50s/60s that I know of and is always red or yellow in color in that time from (FWIK). Also, that spring catch located on the back of the caliper isn't consistent at all with anything in the 50s/60s. They generally always kind of look like this (attached image). I wouldn't spend another second thinking about that brake lever 😅. The caliper is interesting, but probably not all that interesting in the grand scheme of things. Either way, nothing I see is consistent with 50s brakes...

Agreed on the racer frame and not a traveler. In '58 travelers would have still had tubular forks not blade. Based on the frame condition...😬...that brake setup could have come from anywhere...
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.29.57 PM.png

The Script on the caliper reminds me of the Sachs three speed hubs that say that on them.
Altenberger was Swiss also wasn't it... maybe Belgian..... West Germany doesn't ring....
Also, the blue washers have a 70's -80's font don't they?
Interesting... adding it all to the bank.

I thought possibly Altenburger because they have the lever's clamp screw mounted in a plate that is fitted to a slot, similar to this handle, and they are strictly German as far as I know.
Altenburger-126S-Bremshebel-Bremsgriff-Felgenbremse-1-.jpeg

Screenshot_20220407-225234.png

Their brand name also appeared in a 60s Schwinn price guide I came across.

I just learned that Weinmann made parts in a few countries according to this site: http://sscycleworks.com/components/brakes-weinmann.html West Germany being one of those. The fine details on the caliper like the cross hatch knurl on the adjuster and the spring retainers don't match anything I've come across by Weinemann either though. The first few example parts I pulled out of my parts pile were all stamped Weinemann Switzerland and then some DiaComp Japan from the 70s.

The next brand I need to research more is Cherry. I think they were a cheap bulk supplier popular in the late 60s...? At least that was the impression I got from their packaging...that their products were knock offs of other brands. I've seen Cherry packaging that says made in West Germany and Ohio even. I feel like I've seen the knurling and strange spring end retainers on a 70s trike with a parking brake lever....? But I haven't found images to verify that yet.

And sure, the brake and the lever both are inconsequential in the grand scheme of Schwinn. They weren't part of any super rare or valuable model, but that's not the fine point I'm aiming for. I'd just like to identify the lever and find another to match it. I like the way it's built, and the hunt. With zero markings on the lever, all I've got to go by are what it was attached to(however loosely that could have been)....😐 and thanks to the CABE, CROWDSOURCING! 😁

Back