When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can early Elgin be dated by serial number?

-

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Can early Elgin be dated by serial number? serial: 79290. It has nearly flat rain gutter fenders (very shallow) Model "A" New Departure, has the diagonal Elgin badge without pins or screws showing, front fender braces are rods, rear flat metal. Front rim was 28" all wood with metal sheath where tire rests, Rear was all steel 28".
Thanks...
bri.:)

Last edited:
Sounds like an early Sears Elgin, (perhaps with a left-over button-badge). The 1922 catalog picture looks Davis (near their end); the 1923 catalog looks Excelsior Michigan City. So, I think my no-letter Elgin is a 1922; and that 1923 began with the letter "A" (perhaps purely coincidental with a maker from Massachusetts).

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have what I believe to be a 1934 Elgin Falcon bicycle. How can I confirm it by the serial number M117081.
Fork does show the A11 as the frame does.
305Sal

A08253C8-2C2C-4FAE-9C5C-0FF1DB311993.jpeg

1FBD2D82-87C4-46FC-B45B-CD7703B65574.jpeg

Pics would be nice of your bike...looks like a 35 Westfield style of serial number.

Hi @305Sal

Thank you for the good, clear serial number pictures.

M117081 A11 is a Westfield frame made in November 1934, and built up into a bicycle before the end of 1934.

I have never seen a production code on the fork before. I guess A11 is also November 1934.

This production code system had only started a few months before (the earliest frame I have recorded is A8, August 1934). Although it continued until 1945 for frames, I suspect they stopped doing it a lot earlier for forks.

Something new for me. (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have what I believe to be a 1934 Elgin Falcon bicycle. How can I confirm it by the serial number M117081.
Fork does show the A11 as the frame does.
305Sal

View attachment 1394774

View attachment 1394775
Pics would be nice of your bike...looks like a 35 Westfield style of serial number.
Hi @305Sal

Thank you for the good, clear serial number pictures.

M117081 A11 is a Westfield frame made in November 1934, and built up into a bicycle before the end of 1934.

I have never seen a production code on the fork before. I guess A11 is also November 1934.

This production code system had only started a few months before (the earliest frame I have recorded is A8, August 1934). Although it continued until 1945 for frames, I suspect they stopped doing it a lot earlier for forks.

Something new for me. (-:

Best Regards,

Adrian
Adrian,

So it’s not an Elgin ?

305Sal

FDEFB932-7E1B-4CB6-BABB-99F51F758B21.jpeg

Hi @305Sal

Yes, it is an Elgin.

Elgin was the 'house brand' for Sears and Roebuck catalogue company. Sears didn't make bikes, but contracted out to bike manufacturers. In the early to late 1930's the contractor was Westfield.

I hope this helps explain things, let me know if not.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @305Sal

Yes, it is an Elgin.

Elgin was the 'house brand' for Sears and Roebuck catalogue company. Sears didn't make bikes, but contracted out to bike manufacturers. In the early to late 1930's the contractor was Westfield.

I hope this helps explain things, let me know if
Hi @305Sal

Yes, it is an Elgin.

I hope this helps explain things, let me know if not.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Adrian,
Thank you for your clarification.I’ve purchased a couple badges in search of the right on.

305Sal

image.jpg

Hi @305Sal

It looks like badges 2 or 3 would be most suitable for your bike.

Here is an Elgin Blackhawk, M153734, probably made the same month as your bike, with a red Elgin on a blue background (there are some good photos showing the baadge and other details).

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @305Sal

It looks like badges 2 or 3 would be most suitable for your bike.

Here is an Elgin Blackhawk, M153734, probably made the same month as your bike, with a red Elgin on a blue background (there are some good photos showing the baadge and other details).

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thank you for the cool Elgin pictures.

what converts a Falcon to a Blackhawk other than the paint scheme, saddle and stainless steel fenders ?

305Sal

Back