Can i paint over powder coat?

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

psycho potsie

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 10, 2018
tucson AZ.
Hello...i have a frame thats powder coated...can i rough it up and paint over it....use it like a base primer...or rough it up..prime a nd then paint??? Or..sand blast and start over...any inpit ia always appreciated..thanks Sean

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
I don't see why not. One of my friends did Wrought Iron for a living and many times the steel was powered. After doing the install welds he cleaned the area and touched up with spray paint. Bike manufacturers even painted over chrome plating, but we all know it doesn't stay on very well. GMC to this day is painting over chromed bumpers. ;)
Like painting over anything, do a thorough prep and use a good paint

tommygun

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Aug 8, 2011
I was told by a family friend who had a long career in the powder coating business that you can absolutely paint over powder as long as the paint contains a ketone. I was cutting my paint with acetone for that specific project and it worked out great. Make sure to wear a organic vapor rated respirator.

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
Go over it with a red Scoth Brite pad then put down a base of Self Etching primer. I've painted over chrome using this method and so far it's held up just fine.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!