When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can i paint over powder coat?

-

psycho potsie

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello...i have a frame thats powder coated...can i rough it up and paint over it....use it like a base primer...or rough it up..prime a nd then paint??? Or..sand blast and start over...any inpit ia always appreciated..thanks Sean

I don't see why not. One of my friends did Wrought Iron for a living and many times the steel was powered. After doing the install welds he cleaned the area and touched up with spray paint. Bike manufacturers even painted over chrome plating, but we all know it doesn't stay on very well. GMC to this day is painting over chromed bumpers. ;)
Like painting over anything, do a thorough prep and use a good paint

I was told by a family friend who had a long career in the powder coating business that you can absolutely paint over powder as long as the paint contains a ketone. I was cutting my paint with acetone for that specific project and it worked out great. Make sure to wear a organic vapor rated respirator.

Go over it with a red Scoth Brite pad then put down a base of Self Etching primer. I've painted over chrome using this method and so far it's held up just fine.

Back