When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I vent for a second?

-
The bike hobby is a hobby of "ya win some,ya lose some".There will always be collectors with more money buying bikes for more than I want to spend but thats the nature of the beast. If you let any hobby stress you out that badly its not a hobby.It is a stressor.. I enjoy all aspects of bike collecting.I enjoy the shows,the sellers,working an occasional parts deal,buying an occasional bike,finding other collectables at a show,stopping for food afterward,etc.

And there's people who overspend to try to be cool not even having a clue what there buying but to say look at me! Then once they realize how dumb they are they try to sell them for outrageous prices that we all just laugh at!! Different strokes for different folks I guess.... either makes bikes unobtainable or what we have goes up in value or both! Had a'39 CT that I sold to a friend who doesn't really want it now, original paint, nice bike that I might be able to get back for a reasonable price! PM me if you're interested and might be able to work something out for you! Everyone else, it's NOT for sale so don't try and snake the taco! Just trying to pay it forward if I can.... Dave

I know this sounds simplistic and crazy but as my late grandmother always said things happen for a reason.
One thing that's always fascinated me is the value of things, and much of that is being at the right place at the right time.
My wife and I have some old cars, and in 1968 if I could have ordered one it would have been a red AMX, 390 V8, 4 speed, black leather. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea...but I would have had to have it (didn't have the $ back then.
A few years ago I'm browsing Ebay and there's an immaculate one...and it was only like 2 hours away. I called the seller, and I started bidding on it.
The way seller got it was weird as can be. He and his brother go to pick up a Mustang he heard about. They get there and it's in terrible shape. They happen to see this AMX not far away in a basement...garage door open. They walk over, "this old guy was there, we asked, he said wife wanted it gone". Seller also told me he said since he had an empty car trailer with him, he asked how much? Old guy said "I don't know...$1,800?". (Now me...I would have fainted).
Anyway, the seller buys it, and "the old guy loaded his truck with new in box parts" as well he accumulated.
So I'm bidding Ebay...it's now up to like $28K...I won't be outbid. One day left and it's gone!!!!! What tha'?!? flip???
So I call the seller...where's the car?!?
He said that morning a brand new Corvette pulls into his drive. Guy gets out with a brief case. Says he wanted the car...case is filled with $100 bills. He says tell me when to stop so you'll take it off Ebay!
Seller didn't say what he sold it for, but "here's a guy with cash". He said guy had a moving service pick the car up.
Then...I think about grandma! Suppose I had it, right now. How often would I drive it? Did I really need it?, etc.
I do have a factory poster of one though! [emoji38]
20201213_183636.jpg

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

I don't buy on ebay. I buy from cabers. Haven't gotten burned yet. Nearly everyone I've done business with here has been 100‰ genuine and honest. So I try to be genuine and honest with everyone as well. I'm not surprised at all of the level of generosity shown in the “pay it forward” thread. I've experienced it myself and try to share the old bike love with others myself when I can. I've done a bit of venting myself... sometimes it sure helps you feel better. I've gotten my share of “wow“ responses from my eccentric posts. But I try and be honest and respectful to others. There are very few people here that are showing off. Everyone is looking for the same amazing rare bikes and when they can get them they share their excitement with other enthusiasts who share their interests. Who would you like to make a great deal to on a rare bike if you had something very special? The person who has the most money, or someone you know who is passionate about these old machines, that is genuine and respectful. Stay in the hobby long enough and you will find that you are the old guy with knowledge and cool toys. And we will have learned plenty about how to carry ourselves, how to do business, and how to keep the hobby alive from some of the greatest people on earth. Chris I certainly hope that you find a nice cycle truck within your budget. I'm sure you will. Hang in there.
Well said.

I screw around too much, so this post is serious. We have, and had Cabers that just disappear. Later we find out they had cancer and died. These were guys that posted every single week, and if anyone knew about it, they didn't share it with any of us. We have Cabers that are serving in the military. [God knows where] I know one guy [seen him at a swap this fall, with his red-tipped cane] He's blind. He's into old Monarks. I've sold him parts. He rides a bike and rolls fenders. For the life of me, I not only don't know how he does it, but how he has the courage to do it. We have members that are confined to wheel chairs, lost their wives, kids; suffered real loss and real pain. Losing out on a material thing, like a bicycle is nothing. Let it piss you off for a moment. Then, forget about it.

I screw around too much, so this post is serious. We have, and had Cabers that just disappear. Later we find out they had cancer and died. These were guys that posted every single week, and if anyone knew about it, they didn't share it with any of us. We have Cabers that are serving in the military. [God knows where] I know one guy [seen him at a swap this fall, with his red-tipped cane] He's blind. He's into old Monarks. I've sold him parts. He rides a bike and rolls fenders. For the life of me, I not only don't know how he does it, but how he has the courage to do it. We have members that are confined to wheel chairs, lost their wives, kids; suffered real loss and real pain. Losing out on a material thing, like a bicycle is nothing. Let it piss you off for a moment. Then, forget about it.
well said Tinker.I can fully agree after the last 4 months.Hope to see you guys this spring.

Very well put. Thanks.

I"ve been at this for over 50 years. All I will says is that this type of thing didn't happen much pre internet days.

I've

Back