When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone help me determine value of this jc Higgins colorflow?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Generally speaking any complete unmolested vintage bike in 'good' condition is going to be more valuable than a 'restored' bike, especially if the 'restored' bike is missing some of it's original parts. For someone new to the hobby, restoring a vintage collectable bike that doesn't have all it's correct parts or building a bike from the frame up is the most time consuming expensive way to go. The people selling you the parts are making a profit on them and you end up with a bike that you dumped more time and money into building than you would have spent buying complete. Building a bike from parts works for people who have been in the hobby for years prowling bike swap meets and various events, sometimes buying the inventory from bike shops that have gone out of business and have amassed a hoard of parts they can pull from.
You need to be aware there are reproductions of vintage bikes out there that are in new condition but are not as valuable as the vintage bike that the reproduction was based on. Columbia and Roadmaster badged bikes have been reproduced. Harley Davidson produced a crappy version of one of their vintage bikes.
Below is a photo of a Columbia Five Star boys reproduction sold by a CABE member back in 2017 that's the same model as the girls bike you posted.

dscn5221-jpg.jpg

If that girls Columbia you asked about is not a reproduction, it's worth more than the JC Higgins Colorflow that has been repainted and is missing parts. Even if it is a repop it's probably worth more than the Higgins because of the missing parts on the Higgins.

When looking for value in girls bikes look for unmolested original De Lux model bikes that have good paint, good chrome or stainless mudguards, upgraded accessories like ND (New Departure) two speed hubs, ND front break hub, springer forks, Lobdel horizontal sprung (torpedo) saddles, 2 speed Morrow hubs with jockey stick shifters, horn tanks, teardrop pedals and fender lights. Coveted brands are TOC (Turn Of Century)Harley Davidson, TOC Indian, pre war Dayton/Huffman (Twin Flex), Iver Johnson, some Elgin's, some Schwinn's, 'Y frame' Roadmaster's, Shelby's, Westfield, Colson and Monark/Hawthorne aluminum frame bikes (Silver King/WingBar).

Those are the basics.

Thank you all for the info! I’m new and just getting into the older bike seen, I think there all beautiful in there own way but I really do appreciate the knowledge, are there any girls bikes that are rare to are worth anything to look out for? Also I came across a Columbia 5 Star superb I know it’s a girls but any chance it’s worth anything? With bike out of the two( superb or colorflow) has a better following? I’m thinking about getting it for my girlfriend just to cruise around on! I’ll post a photo below!

View attachment 1063313

View attachment 1063314

There are a lot of sweet ladies bikes our there, the underlying question would be, are you into 'collecting' for the money to be made, or are you into getting something that you really like?

For example, my bride's 1941 Elgin Sport Deluxe is a great machine, it also has a bit of value to it, but the reason we have it is because she loves the bike, and so do I.
20190421_135046.jpg

I have a handful of ladies bikes that I have just because I like them, they are not worth a ton of money, I just like them and think that they should be preserved. My 1944 Huffman wartime ladies civilian bike isn't worth much at all, but the June 1944 date on it is one of the reasons I don't plan on it going anywhere but on rides.

Back