When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone help me with this Mercury bike

-

meeganauction

On Training Wheels
Hi there! I know nothing about bikes. However, I recently started a new position as a photographer for an auction house, and I happened upon this bike today.

From what I can tell it’s a mercury between late 1930s and mid-1940s. (The license plate was my giveaway haha)

However I’m assuming it’s been heavily modified from its original. It doesn’t seem like any of those four (FOUR!!?) headlamps are original.

And the little toggle switches on the tank are killing me. Was this all custom work, after market?

Have you ever seen switches like that on the tank?

It has the delta rolite generators which may have been original so maybe it was originally a pod bike?

I just have no idea wth I’m looking at here. I’d love to ant least say it’s a modified Mercury [type] [year range]

Any help appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

FE81F2FF-0944-46B5-A2D8-E13EDB3323B0.jpeg

70076EE7-447D-498B-BC34-3DA828298C7C.jpeg

9AE89315-D29C-48D4-AEF2-7D5D5CFF7DBA.jpeg

B3D288D5-5A96-4FF1-9BA3-123AEAD88DB2.jpeg

CAD89C62-4E80-4B95-A927-E91B8ADCAA46.jpeg

F004B9FB-29D4-4A40-B640-E095B11BEF9F.jpeg

6FC2D4E5-4B74-404D-BBE7-9A2512F93FA3.jpeg

D8EF21D2-A6C2-46AD-A296-D28913761F7F.jpeg

231D1244-57E1-47AF-95AF-DAAF5D983D42.jpeg

8EDAF9A6-7250-46EC-8CC3-C0E10F6EAE51.jpeg

BF371039-5DD5-4CFF-A45C-A417C2A24A40.jpeg

F3A20BEF-68E1-4AEB-91F9-AA635A205107.jpeg

That is a pretty awesome bike, and fairly scarce. It is in good original condition. If I could make a suggestion as to your course of action with it, I would recommend the following. I would leave it exactly as it is, but just give the bike a good wash with some soap and water. Remove the front basket. Leave all of the lights in place, and the toggle switches too. I personally feel like, even though it is a modification, it is a very early modification and actually adds to the appearance and character of the bike. Get the lights working. New set of white wall or solid cream tires, lube it up, and you'll have a really high class bicycle for riding. That is what I would recommend. I would also recommend perhaps either replacing or finding and new housing for the tail light. Also leaving the license plate in place.

Looks like it’s a 1941 Huffman built bike. The Mercury speedometer was just an add on accessory.
Just googled that. You nailed it!!! Thank you much much. This is gonna be one helluva listing 🙃 1941 Huffman modified with a billion things 😝

It looks like the headlight right above the front tire was originally there at least!
That is a pretty awesome bike, and fairly scarce. It is in good original condition. If I could make a suggestion as to your course of action with it, I would recommend the following. I would leave it exactly as it is, but just give the bike a good wash with some soap and water. Remove the front basket. Leave all of the lights, and the toggle switches too. I personally feel like, even though it is a modification, it is a very early modification and actually adds to the appearance and character of the bike. Get the lights working. New set of white wall or solid cream tires, lube it up, and you'll have a really high class bicycle. That is what I would recommend.
thanks!

Honestly my relationship with this bike was just to photograph it and list it (as is) for the online auction I just working for. I found it buried in the back of a barn today haha. Along with what I think is a 1950s Raleigh Sport 3 speed.

I have no idea what the online auction process is, but I’m pretty sure it’s local pickup only (southern NH) so if anyone here is around this area, I’m sure I can post back here when it’s “live” - if that’s permitted.

Thanks again with your help!!!

Cool bike. I'm betting that it belonged to a kid with a paper route because of the basket and all of the lights. I can imagine him finishing his route around dark, flipping all of his toggle switches to night mode and racing home just in time for supper!

One other thing @meeganauction, when photographing bicycles, the chain side of the bike is always the most desired picture for collectors along with closer details. Looks like you did it well. Good luck

Back