When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this early Eclipse/Morrow be saved?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rusty_apache

Finally riding a big boys bike
The bearings that belong here are totally absent! The outer race looks to be destroyed and looks like it is part of the hub and not pressed in.

Please tell me I’m wrong and there is something that I can do to save it!

It looks like the Morrows built into the WW2 Years, but are the components interchangeable?
5FB9E88F-165A-4490-B87B-444B2E26C041.jpeg

5083A0A2-A069-43C8-A653-C651E4C1A57B.jpeg

It might be possible to put the hub in a lathe and dress up the race. You'll need a carbide tip tool bit. The hub absolutely has to be running true. Use a dial indicator.

or, just spend a little time trying to fix it, grease it and ride it. How many miles are you planning on actually puttin on it? 100? Trust me, it will make it, people in other countries are riding poop bikes and hubs made out of tinfoil, rusted and have never seen grease or oil. This will do just fine for what you are planning and will stay original. I personally wouldnt over think it.

Yeah, I’m just going to leave the original wheelset be and build another set to ride.

I can repair or replace parts. I have rebuilt a handful of them. If you end up selling the wheels cheap let me know. Otherwise pull all the parts out and I can show you (or Sheldon brown can) what is missing or broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or, just spend a little time trying to fix it, grease it and ride it. How many miles are you planning on actually puttin on it? 100? Trust me, it will make it, people in other countries are riding &#!^ bikes and hubs made out of tinfoil, rusted and have never seen grease or oil. This will do just fine for what you are planning and will stay original. I personally wouldnt over think it.

Actually I bought this one specifically to ride and it physically pains me to ride anything with failing bearings. The feeling of it slowly destroying itself is like nails on a chalkboard. It’s cringeworthy.
But I do get your point. The front hub is a little pitted and you can hardly feel it. I can live with that. The rear hub was run dry with no lubricant or bearings. My photographs don’t really capture how badly destroyed that race is. It’s beyond rough.
No harm in building an extra wheel set!
Thankfully the crank bearings were encased in petrified grease and cleaned up beautifully. The cages are “patented November 12 1901”.

I can repair or replace parts. I have rebuilt a handful of them. If you end up selling the wheels cheap let me know. Otherwise pull all the parts out and I can show you (or Sheldon brown can) what is missing or broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I’ll keep it in mind.
Still going to let the machinist have a look at it while I’m there.

Another early eclipse rear hub found. “Eclipse machine” is barely detectable It’s a bit puzzling that there is no oil hole. The barrel wall is slightly thinner than another eclipse I have from 1945. Does that mean it’s even earlier than 1903?
Anyway the races are usable so I’m pleased with it.

This one was repurposed for someone who apparently wanted a very low gear ratio. The snowflake chainring is just like the one on my Marathon so I rolled the dice knowing I would at least salvage that.
9014A10D-54E9-4A98-B227-875D8D6D23EB.jpeg

The hub had 2 larger races braised to either end with the chainring on top.
BCDB2E24-2663-4F9F-B934-06593B92FCB2.jpeg

Any insights as to the date of this hub would be appreciated!

Back