When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you date this Sears serial number?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Vintagedad

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can anyone decipher this? The bike is a Sears free spirit with its original purple paint. I have everything minus the wheels, chainguard and pedals. I already have a set of wheels removed from a later style schwinn girls bike to throw on. I have a bunch of pedals too so I’ll just grab a set and plug them on when I get around to getting it back to being rideable. I’ve had it sitting in the garage for awhile now so I’ll probably get around to putting it back together over the winter. I’d guess it’s a later built model but I can’t seem to find any information on deciphering this serial number. I know it’s not a valuable bike, hence why I’m just putting it together from parts I’ve accumulated.

D625BAA5-2D9F-41C3-9548-F20E94659DD0.jpeg

70A8D3F0-85B6-4D48-8818-36D4DAA28CD7.jpeg

Sears bikes don't have a date code like Murray and Huffy muscle bikes do, even though they are made by Murray and Huffy. The codes on the bikes are the catalog numbers and don't correspond to a date. I have had luck using the website Wishbookweb, that has Sears catalogs scanned, I look through them for the bike and go from there.

My guess is that the bike is a mid to late 70's though, I think they started using the sticker Free Spirit head badges about that time. Look for information in 1975-76-77. Good luck with the search!

Sears bikes don't have a date code like Murray and Huffy muscle bikes do, even though they are made by Murray and Huffy. The codes on the bikes are the catalog numbers and don't correspond to a date. I have had luck using the website Wishbookweb, that has Sears catalogs scanned, I look through them for the bike and go from there.

My guess is that the bike is a mid to late 70's though, I think they started using the sticker Free Spirit head badges about that time. Look for information in 1975-76-77. Good luck with the search!

Thanks for the reply. I’ll start checking the website you provided.

Bikes are usually just past half way through the catalog. Page 300+ or so. A royal pain flipping pages 10 at a time but a good source of info.

Bikes are usually just past half way through the catalog. Page 300+ or so. A royal pain flipping pages 10 at a time but a good source of info.

I’ve been flipping through and the closest I’ve found so far is a 72 free spirit but the part numbers don’t seem to match up to the serial number I posted. I can’t see the head badge good enough to see if it matches.

The part number for the 72 is 6 N 47668N.

97C2DE33-BB2D-4EA7-BE11-BC024A707B0D.jpeg

Try the 1975 Sears catalog on Wishbookweb, pages 426 and 427. I think that might be your bike. Catalog number is 6C 47981N, which is pretty close to the number you posted. Does that look like your bike? Post a picture of the whole bike if you can.

Try the 1975 Sears catalog on Wishbookweb, pages 426 and 427. I think that might be your bike. Catalog number is 6C 47981N, which is pretty close to the number you posted. Does that look like your bike? Post a picture of the whole bike if you can.

I don’t know for sure if the banana seat is original or a later replacement. The pedals were put on there by the previous owner and are new. It’s been sitting in my garage for a while so it could use a wipe down.

1C5CB951-B1C0-47D1-B1BF-C7E520FBB4DC.jpeg

B73CA4F5-7250-4336-9F47-9B01B95906BF.jpeg

07533BB6-2C96-4249-83A7-7DD644C1BA64.jpeg

CFA6C5EE-1691-41AC-B143-4CC69FB3EF0B.jpeg

523BDA0A-9884-4A04-9DD5-4199450A0C92.jpeg

94BA80A2-9244-4224-B7E6-DF8F93CF6361.jpeg

Interesting frame on that one. That doesn't look like a Murray frame to me, the rear dropouts have cut outs in them, Murray frames aren't like that.

Also, it has a three piece crank, it might be foreign made. I'll look in the catalogs later and see if something jumps out.

That headbadge sticker being round like that does look like the one in the 1975 catalog though.

Back